John Deere 2020 PTO questions

INCase

posted part of this on the general tractor talk page but thought i'd post the PTO section here as well

helping a friend look for a small utility tractor with a loader. found a 2020 with a model 47 loader. overall decent "orginal looking" shape but with some battle scars.

a few issues but the key one that may break the deal is the PTO. by the owners manual (reprint) the seller has it appears the tractor came with a single stage or dual stage clutch set up for the PTO. I am familiar with both but not on Deeres.

QUESTION: The lever on the left side of the transmission moves and engages the PTO (spins) with or without using the clutch. it hangs a bit in the middle of the travel when engaging but with little effort goes into gear. not rough at all and no grinding of the PTO gear. PTO does NOT stop with the clutch fully depressed. Clutch seemed ok driving wise. if it is a clutch issue that would require splitting the tractor my friend will probably pass on it as he won't want to fool with it or spend the $ on getting someone else to do the repair.. otherwise if the clutch isn't a big issue, he may make an offer on it.

other issues seem reasonably minor like the Y part the tie rods attach too is loose in the bottom of the pivot which probably isn't surprising being a loader tractor.

thanks for the help

posted part of this on the general tractor talk page but thought i'd post the PTO section here as well

helping a friend look for a small utility tractor with a loader. found a 2020 with a model 47 loader. overall decent "orginal looking" shape but with some battle scars.

a few issues but the key one that may break the deal is the PTO. by the owners manual (reprint) the seller has it appears the tractor came with a single stage or dual stage clutch set up for the PTO. I am familiar with both but not on Deeres.

QUESTION: The lever on the left side of the transmission moves and engages the PTO (spins) with or without using the clutch. it hangs a bit in the middle of the travel when engaging but with little effort goes into gear. not rough at all and no grinding of the PTO gear. PTO does NOT stop with the clutch fully depressed. Clutch seemed ok driving wise. if it is a clutch issue that would require splitting the tractor my friend will probably pass on it as he won't want to fool with it or spend the $ on getting someone else to do the repair.. otherwise if the clutch isn't a big issue, he may make an offer on it.

other issues seem reasonably minor like the Y part the tie rods attach too is loose in the bottom of the pivot which probably isn't surprising being a loader tractor.

thanks for the help
A PTO with nothing hooked to the tractor shaft can be engaged and disengaged without the clutch and it may not grind. It may not stop turning when the PTO control lever is disengaged due to drag of cold oil. It does not have a PTO brake. The clutches (pressure plates) look different. Pop the round inspection cover on the left side and take a look at which it has.

is that plate accessible with the loader mounted?
It should be. It is a 3" round cover that pops off located a few inches behind the engine on the left side.

With a loader on it I would want to see the side reinforcing plates as well.

john_deere_2020_diesel_54_hp_tractor_1_lgw.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back