John Deere 2130 bearing pieces floating around rear end

Westcoast

New User
Hi All,
I was running a mixer wagon on my John Deere 2130 the other day and the pto randomly stopped turning and made a grinding noise like gears not fully engaged. I immediately disengaged the pto and the grinding stopped. When i tried re engaging it made the grinding noise again under load. Once the mixer wagon was unhooked I found pto engaged no problem when no load on the system. Could this be happening due to loss of hydraulic pressure which is needed to engage the pto? failing pto clutch?

The plot thickened today when I decided to service the whole rear end, clean screen, change filter, fresh oil etc. When I pulled the front drain plug (in the same region as the oil filter below drivers right heel) a bunch of pieces of bearing needles and one random rivet came out with the oil. Yikes! Is there a likely culprit for this bearing material to have come from? And I assume the rivet came from a clutch or brake disc? The hi lo seems to work fine as does the main clutch. Only issue I was aware of before this was that the pto brake didnt work so it turned all the time. Any ideas? Whats my next step to address this ?

I assume the source of the problem is in the front half of the rear end as thats where I found the shrapnel. The rear drain plug was clean.

Thanks!

I suggest checking pto engagement pressure which should be 155-165 psi. I can't think of where a rivet might originate because brake/clutch disks are bonded not riveted.

So I think I know of something that’s riveted and not “serviceable” the 2640 I did last year that had a leak from the clutch shaft had lost the rivets out of the large washer that is between the clutch housing and the 2 speed assembly. I just riveted it back in and moved on with life after trying to find one I think I may have flipped it over since it had some goofy wearing on the one side and made 3 countersink spot for the rivets. I think splitting it is where this is going and you are going to be heading into the same area albeit probably focusing on the pto

In his case the 2 speed was also functioning his complaint was the leak from the rear main area

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back