John Deere 50

joeythorn17

New User
Hello I just installed a new ignition switch on my John Deere 50 and it's got an one wire mini alternator on it instead of the generator and the ignition switch would allow the tractor to start but I can't shut the tractor off unless I let it run out of gas and Im not sure if I wired it wrong but I'm only 18 and trying to learn how to work on the equipment but I need help to know what to do

Last edited:
Depending on the alternator but you need a diode in the line from the alternator or even putting a small light bulb in line will drain off the voltage to allow it to shut off.

Mornin Joey,,,,,,,,IFFFFFFFFFF ? its what's called a Three Wire (NOT a One Wire) Delco Alternator and IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ? its small side 1/R excitation terminal (NOT the big main power output stud) is connected to the ignition coil for initial excitation but it runs with ign off:

In that wire FROM coil TO small alternator side 1/R terminal you' need to install EITHER a 5 or so Amp Diode,,,,,,,,,,,OR a 10 Ohm Resistor,,,,,,,,,,,OR a small incandescent 12 volt NOT LED light bulb, and that could (subject to unknowns) make it stop when Ign is off

Im sure some other fine gentleman will post a picture and/or a wiring diagram to add to and help clear up what I just posted

NOTE I dont know what Alternator you have,,, I dont know how youre wired,,, SO NO WARRANTY THIS MAY BE WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best I have to offer with so many unknowns see if others can add to this

John T

Was the alternator on the tractor before you changed the ignition switch? If so, did everything work properly then?
I guess that's the way I interpreted your original question, but just wanted to make sure.
If the only thing you changed was the switch, then I would assume the problem is there--either wired wrong as you suggested, or else a problem with the new switch.

Yes the alternator was put on well over a month before the ignition switch was changed but I didn't hook up the lights on it and that's because I was thinking about putting a separate switch for the lights but also my ground from my alternator goes up to the ignition switch as well so I don't know if maybe that was wired wrong or or what the case may be or maybe the coil was in the right spot but what I found on here from another guy having troubles was supposed to put the coil wire with the ignition wire so I'm really not sure if I wired that part wrong or what but I also had to run some new wires from the ignition switch and one from the amp gauge because they were burnt from a small fire on the tractor because of faulty wires so maybe I got one of those wrong when I put the new switch on but if I can I'll put a picture of the old switch and the new switch

Attachments

• 403ad343-815a-4cd3-a219-a368edcfe58e.jpg
    403ad343-815a-4cd3-a219-a368edcfe58e.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240507_083909409.jpg
    IMG_20240507_083909409.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Yes the alternator was put on well over a month before the ignition switch was changed but I didn't hook up the lights on it and that's because I was thinking about putting a separate switch for the lights but also my ground from my alternator goes up to the ignition switch as well so I don't know if maybe that was wired wrong or or what the case may be or maybe the coil was in the right spot but what I found on here from another guy having troubles was supposed to put the coil wire with the ignition wire so I'm really not sure if I wired that part wrong or what but I also had to run some new wires from the ignition switch and one from the amp gauge because they were burnt from a small fire on the tractor because of faulty wires so maybe I got one of those wrong when I put the new switch on but if I can I'll put a picture of the old switch and the new switch
If your alternator is a one wire, that wire goes to the starter solenoid hot bolt. The ground goes to any ground close to the alternator.The wire from the amp gauge goes to the battery pole on the ignition switch. Also the wire from the ignition pole on the ignition switch goes to the coil plus side. Minus side of the coil goes to the distrutator. hope that helps.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back