John Deere 585x overheating problems

Nadx

got a 2004 585x that has overheating problems....issue is that the even the dealer couldn't figure out what is causing it
. John Deere now has the 7 series that replaced the 585 x but they are basically the same mower, the 585 (7 series) is the largest mower they have I believe before you go up inside to s small utility tractor (and add about 8 or 9k) they sell for about 13K now, I couldn't believe the local John Deere place you;dnt figure out a solution. looks like im in the market for a replacement this year or keep paying the lawn service $150 a pop to mow my yard (its about 4 acres to mow and they weeded too, anyways im nadx and used to be on Kountry Life forum. anyone ran into an issue where no one could diagnose an issue and fix it like that?

Some are tricky to find. I'd start by watching the radiator flow with the cap off. Is it flowing, pump working? Lots of older pumps that haven't had fresh coolant occasionally will rust the impeller blades off. Fan blades OK? If that looks good the first suspect would be the radiator. Dirty inside and/or out. Needs to be pulled and cleaned and flow tested. It's amazing what clippings, dust, pollen can collect on the fins and be nearly invisible when installed.

Almost forgot: is it really overheating like boiling coolant out, or is the light coming on? Those senders are known to fail and falsely indicate hot

it overheats then quits running, thanks once it warms up again ill check these suggestions!

If you have access to an infrared thermometer, when the tractor shows hot check the top and bottom of radiator and hoses to the engine to see what the temp is. Like it was mentioned, could be a bad sending unit or gauge. The shutting down when hot is just a safety in the event that it is overheating.

Have you owned the tractor since new or is it recent to you? On my 4 compact diesels, I find that if I don't blow the radiator out every time I mow, I will have issues. I would think the dealer would see that though. If your serious about replacing it, you might want to think about something like this for 4 acres. It is a 2000 and I paid $1,300 for it 4 years ago. It has done nothing but cut grass and plow snow since with no issues. I take that back. I had to replace the worn out seat. It ain't pretty, but it sure does know how to work. BTW: the plow didn't come with it and cost more than the tractor.
132286440_3895818613807521_9045944537114441364_n.jpg

0404201002.jpg

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back