John Deere B Pto help ASAP

jd2cyl1943

How do I check/measure the back lash of the pto bevel gears on a 43' B? The shop manual says to back of the cap screws and tap the shaft 1/8" back into the bearing cover. I was reading that and realized that I don't even know how to measure backlash. I plan to work on this as soon as I can tomorrow, so the sooner I get help the better.

I'm sure you'll get a better answer from someone else. But it is pretty easy with the right tools. If you have a dial indicator just move the pto to one of the ends of its movement set the indicator against it and set to zero and then just move the pto in and out to get your reading. I have also seen guys do this with a ruler but if you do that it may be a little harder to tell exactally how much lash you have.
Nate

How do I check/measure the back lash of the pto bevel gears on a 43' B? The shop manual says to back of the cap screws and tap the shaft 1/8" back into the bearing cover. I was reading that and realized that I don't even know how to measure backlash. I plan to work on this as soon as I can tomorrow, so the sooner I get help the better.
I have done it by feel when adjusting backlash.
When you can JUST feel the play while trying to twist the PTO shaft, I call it good.

If you don't have a dial indicator as waugh621 mentioned you can also use a set of feeler gauges in the same manner. Or if it has a little movement call it good.

I'm with Richard G. You can do it by feel. This is a low hp tractor turning a 540 PTO. Nothing overly critical here. Just make sure there's backlash present while turning the shaft all the way around. If it gets tight in one spot add another shim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back