John Deere B rear seal

I'm starting to restore a John Deere B and looking for a way to seal the back plate. It has a PTO. Will a high temp gasket "caulk" work? The stuff from an auto place or does it need to be an actual gasket?

If you are talking the rear end or hydraulic cover silicone will work or you can get a gasket. Beware there are seals in the pto shaft or hydraulic pump.

I did mine on my mower sunday. You can get the material to cut a gasket from napa. You can use a cheap hole punch set at harbor freight to make nice holes if you don’t have one. I also use the aviation gasket maker on the gasket as well.

My 38 unstyled had an inch and 3/8 shaft put in it its serial number 51566 and it doesn’t fit the serial number break to have the big one that’s supposed to be 149700 and up. I’m definitely not complaining though about that. Anyway skf 13602 fit from the local bearing guru and I put 3 of them in since the old one was a double I was told on here that 2 fit great and on mine 3 actually fit in there perfect so we will see how it goes. You might as well do the inner seal as well but go ahead and measure to save yourself the headache I had

I would not use hi-temp gasket caulk.. I would use a paper gasket and aviation glue and glue gasket to the rocker-shaft housing only.. No leaks. While rocker-shaft housing is off, new PTO seal, check the rear axles for tightness,, check back side of the housing, and clean out sludge at bottom of transmission and differential housings..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back