John Deere B won't idle

DBurt2024

New User
Painted my B but now it won't idle to slow....needs half choke to run.....wondering if my painting the carb caused the change as it ran at slow idle before painting ???

If it needs 1/2 choke to idle, one of the passages is obstructed with rust or other debris. Need to take the carb apart, all the brass plugs and clean them using the correct size drill bits. Especially the secret passage at the bottom of the stem.

Mr. Precision....not sure...but may have....was trying to do the best job I could..so took lots of things apart...

I started to sand blast it, but didn't have big enough compressor....but there is a chance I may have sucked some sand into the carb after assembling things....thanks for reminding me. However, the carb was never removed........next step...remove and clean thoroughly

That was the next question if it’s pulled off be sure to use a new carb gasket it leaking on the manifold side will also mimic this problem. Shut down the other air source by choking it then has enough pull to get some fuel. Could also be a chunk of silica got past the screen I dumped a fuel bowl last week that had some. Luckily there’s a nice screen on the carb

UPDATE.....took carb off...torn down....found lots of crud.....surprised since it was a complete rebuild....put back on and idled down pretty low...
Plan to give it a good ride tomorrow......thanks all for your replies...much appreciated.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back