John Deere M Starter spins but bendix does not engage...

I have a john Deere M 1953 that starter will spin but the Bendix does not seem to engage the pinion to the flywheel. But spins over fast when power is applied to the starter... I put positive to the ground and negative to the power side. As it is still the old-school system(6v). I bought a brand-new starter and it seems to be doing the same thing... Am I missing something? any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

You may have some bad or missing teeth on the ring gear which can cause that. If you can turn the engine a bit by hand and try to start it again

if the flywheel ring gear is ok did you get a starter with a wrong rotation on the bendix ? i e clockwise starter counter with a clock wise starter bendix . and for the correct police starter drive ie bendix

does it have the correct starter? pos. or neg ground has nothing to do with the starter engaging. i think u mean rebuilt starter , not
brand new. better look at your engine rotation and starter rotation. plus post a pic of the old starter drive. that will tell a story also.

Don't know about your JD but my old Farmall C did that and I replaced the ring gear and that corrected the problem.

(quoted from post at 16:32:07 11/21/22) You may have some bad or missing teeth on the ring gear which can cause that. If you can turn the engine a bit by hand and try to start it again

I checked it over and ring gear seemed to be okay.

should be able to easily move the ring gear by putting it in gear and pushing on a rear tire to move it a couple inches.

It sounds to me that it's turning the wrong direction, something is wired wrong. Check to see if it's
rotating correctly. Can you pull the Bendix gear out by hand?

Couple of thoughts.....starter shaft needs lubrication; battery condition (200 amp. load current capability checked)/starter wiring
(corroded wire or connections) provides enough current to spin the starter but not enough to spin the starter fast enough to engage
and hold in the ring gear......oil the starter's shaft; put voltmeter on starter terminals when rolling the starter and check for 5V on a
6v system or 10V or a 12V system. if less revert to first suggestion.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back