John Deere R starting motor

wd9garymn

Can anyone on this site tell me what the ft lbs torque is on the head bolts on the R pony motor? Thank you very much. Gary.

I have just looked in my original JD manual which may be complete or not and there is no mention. But I have had mine off so many times that I do not bother. Just tighten as you would any head and pull down without excessive force. There is a very good set of YouTube videos on rebuilding a pony motor, which we are doing now after the bottom dropping out of the water jacket due to corrosion.

Russ

I just tighten them until they are good and tight, but don't go all Hulk on them. Then I check for torque with a torque wrench and then tighten so that they are all the same as the tightest one. Keep that torque setting and recheck after running the engine until warm. I have also had people say to go by the standard torque settings for the size and type of bolt.

I-T No.-3, service manual for the John Deere R . Lead washers, crisscross pattern , twenty foot-pounds..

Thanks for the help. Now off to mother Deere to see if i can get or order gaskets, also need intake manifold gasket, Gary.

Well,i went to local Deere dealer and got the head gaskets and lead washers ordered. Parts man said intake gasket is no longer available. Found only 1 on E-bay for $100.00--got it on the way, wish me luck, and thanks again for your help, Gary.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back