molinegb

Was there any more than three companies that made knotters? NH IH JD Massey/Long/Cockshutt/MM//Oliver/Case/Allis/Hesston/Claus/Ford/new Idea what knotters used?

For balers? Not that many. Most manufacturers use (and still use) Rasspe knotters: Deere, New Holland, Allis, Deutz, Hesston, Oliver, Newer Masseys... all use Rasspe. Often different models of Rasspe knotters, but same brand. The Deere and NH balers from the 50's on, for instance, used knotters made by Rasspe, but each used different models. My Deutz square baler has Rasspe knotters that have the same tucker fingers and twine arms as what the Deere balers used, but the shaft and casting that New Hollands of the time used.

The exceptions that I know of are some of the older Masseys which had their own (but built in the Rasspe style), and the IH and New Idea ones, which used the (troublesome) 'All-Twine' knotters. A little further back, McCormick had their own, which were a carry over from their binder knotters.

If you're including binders, I suspect there were more. I know my Massey, Cockshutt (Frost & Wood), and McCormick binders are all different.

Doesn't Freeman use a different design to NH? Have heard that it doesn't leave the short length of twine when cutting the twine after the knot is formed. Not sure might be worth a look.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back