Lawn boy 21 inch cut

We have clean up day where I live. Somebody threw away a lawn boy lawn mower . New it cost $269 they broke the handle at the base of the mower . I put it in the vise and brazed it. Then went back to scrap bin . Picked up a piece of pipe from a barbecue cut 3 inches and brazed that over the top of the first break. Wife is mad we got 2 so I going to give it away . Just hate to see good stuff melted down .

I picked a Scotts (John Deere) self-propelled mower off the curb. It must have been twenty years old, but showed little use and a lot of neglect. Cleaned it up, replaced the rotten fuel line and rebuilt the carb. I went ahead and replaced the blade and drive belt, although they both looked good. Three years later my son is still using it.

Every mower I have ever had in my adult life was a curb rescue, given to
me, or bought used at a very good price!

And I've only had about 3 push mowers, only traded up to something better,
not because they wouldn't run.

My current mower is a self propelled powered by a Briggs 6.75hp . It came from the scrap yard and needed nothing more than a clean of the carburettor.
Apart from having to replace the alloy key in the flywheel a year or two ago it's never needed anything more than normal maintenance and oil changes .
I hate seeing good mowers scrapped , seems though it's much harder to do the same with a battery powered one .

Dad would bring home almost every non running lawn mower home from the auction sales that he bought for a dollar. We got pretty good at pulling the flywheel and replacing the key. Id say 90%
plus, that was the only problem.

I get mowers off the curb all the time. Newish ones. I have sold countless mowers already. This picture is of a newish honda that the only thing wrong was its deck holds hard grass 3 inches high and 2 inches thick and fell down and was hitting the blade and locked it up. The Chraftsman needed a govoner spring that was missing.
cvphoto156465.jpg

(quoted from post at 02:51:14 06/14/23) Good save. You never know why some
salvageable stuff gets tossed but complete
junk doesn't.

It gets tossed because the owner doesn't know how to fix it and the cost to pay someone to fix it is as much or more than a new one. It gets tossed because the owner is sick of fighting with it.

The ones that keep the junk are packrats who have dreams of "someday" fixing it and putting it back in use.

I'm at the "sick of fighting with it" stage on my Cub Cadet 4-stroke weed whacker. Spent $60 on carburetors last year because the cheap offshore clone carb was not even close to right, and I had to buy an OEM. Cleaned and put a "kit" in the original carb and it would still not draw fuel. This spring it quit drawing fuel again. I've cleaned the carburetor four more times, replaced the broken pickup line in the fuel tank, and it STILL isn't running right. One more OEM carb and I'm into replacement carbs for more than I paid for the entire weed whacker to begin with!

I have found most mowers simply have a gummed up carb - I was cleaning them and they would kind of run and would usually need to run a tank or two with Seafoam in the gas before they really ran decent.
The problem is a lot of these carbs were so cheap they were not meant to be serviced. Go to Ebay and buy a cheap Chinese carb (is usally what is already on the mower) and its back in business. A new
carb with gaskets and airfilter are around $15-$20 for most mowers.

I am useing couple of Murrey 20 inch push mowers that are 23 years old. One smokes a little. Of course some years its so dry may only use tank of gas in one.

The best push mower ever made. I bought one at auction years ago, loved it. Tried to mow a JD draw bar and bent the crank.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back