Lawnmower starter alternator

I have a john Deere GX 345 with the combination starter/alternator. Is it possible for the starter to work and not the alternator my battery is not chargeing. When I test across the battery it is not being charged. Any advice or help appreciated.

(quoted from post at 15:38:45 04/09/20) I have a john Deere GX 345 with the combination starter/alternator. Is it possible for the starter to work and not the alternator my battery is not chargeing. When I test across the battery it is not being charged. Any advice or help appreciated.

Looking at the parts catalog for the GX345 at the John Deere parts side all I see is a conventional stater (4) and under-flywheel alternator (5), I don't see any options or serial number breaks.

One of us is missing something here.

1zALaVT.jpg

Maybe he is talking about the old style starter/generator that cranked the engine by energizing the fields and then after it cranked and reached about 2,000 rpms the fields began to produce current to charge the battery through a regulator in the system.

Maybe he is talking about the old Delco style starter/generator that cranked the engine by energizing the fields and then after it cranked and reached about 2,000 rpms the fields began to produce current to charge the battery through a regulator in the system.

I have what would be number 4 the starter and the then number 5 apparently the flywheel and regulator.
so how does this system charge. The mower starts fine but will not charge so what do i need to look at.

Thanks
Greg

(quoted from post at 19:31:06 04/09/20) I have what would be number 4 the starter and the then number 5 apparently the flywheel and regulator.
so how does this system charge. The mower starts fine but will not charge so what do i need to look at.

Thanks
Greg

Does the battery/charge light come on?

Check for blown fuses and a heat-damaged fuseholder.

Check for burned connections where harness from coils under flywheel connects to chassis harness, and at the rectifier/regulator connector.

auefai8.jpg

Here's some troubleshooting info, note the "unregulated stator output test".

Most troublesome parts are voltage regulator and ignition switch.
You can look up the process for troubleshooting the charging system on WFMachines.com.
You will save money by troubleshooting vs throwing parts at it hoping to get a fix.

(quoted from post at 16:38:45 04/09/20) I have a john Deere GX 345 with the combination starter/alternator. Is it possible for the starter to work and not the alternator my battery is not chargeing. When I test across the battery it is not being charged. Any advice or help appreciated.
ust in the last few years, I've had the voltage regulator go bad on two Kohlers and a Briggs. Got the numbers off the old one and was able to find a new solid state type regulator for just a few dollars off ebay.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back