Looking for a company Qualutiy Air Compressor

caterpillar guy

Does any body around SE MI know of a company called Quality Air Compressor. They are apparently out of business and I have a Gallon of oil for a compressor. Wanting to know if this oil is something I can use or just put in the waste oil tank. Not wanting to waste it. But don't want to ruin a good compressor with it either. They appear to have been a service and maybe a dealer for air compressors. They show a number of 313 459 2540. When the guy I bought the compressor from called he got an attorney's office. The can is an old square tin gallon can something like we used to get turpentine and such in. It could have been bought out by somebody else and just terminated the old number also. Compressor will set out in a cold shed inside so no weather issues for it other than the cold so was going to just use engine oil if this is not something that would work.

The oil would be non-detergent. It's probably 30 wt. You probably wouldn't ruin a compressor using the oil as long as you didn't mix it with the existing oil in it. Should be fine for an oil change.

Any idea what type compressor it was? If it was a reciprocating compressor, the oil is probably 20 or 30 weight non detergent.

That will work in a modern recip, but not in a screw or vane type.

A better choice would be synthetic oil made for that specific type compressor.

You do not want to use automotive detergent oil, it will carbon up the valves and heads!

I already drained the old oil out and with the side plate off using a rag washed the inside of the crankcase out. The old oil looked like melted carmels I would guess it had a good bit of water mixed in it by looking at it. It's a piston 2 stage compressor. I have not even had this a week yet wanted to do a clean up on it change oil and air intake filter. Then set it in place to wire up and use. By some of the part numbers it appears to be a Saylor Beall air pump. ot sure it is not a home built thing by the looks of some of the things on it.

look around on the air pump for a plate or tag with make/model/rev #... then google...you should at least be able to find a dealer/repair shop that has some info...If you're lucky you'll find a shop with old Sherm... who worked on them back in the 60's. My guy's name was Clyde.

john

If old Sherm was old in the 1960's the odds of him still being around and working 60 years later are slim to none...

Old Sherm would have had to have been in his late teens for there to be any chance of him still being around and working now.

The company you're looking for is Quality Air Compressor of Plymouth, Michigan. The last number for them is 734-459-2540; the 313 area code has been split up into multiple area codes.

Checking the Michigan Business Entity Search, it looks like good ole Quality Air went out of business back in 1998. BUT, there is a company called Michigan Air Solutions at the same address in Plymouth using the same phone number. Give 'em a call. I'll bet they'll get a kick out of hearing from someone with a 25 year-old tin of oil.
Michigan Air Solutions

I got a hold of the company Saylor - Beall it is one of their's from the 60's or 70's according to them. It is also an obsolete model. It appears they changed the machining on them twice since then and the rods will not fit if I needed on the air filter is different and not available along with the rest of parts for it. I guess I will run it till it goes however long that may be 5 minutes or 50 years. I need an air filter for it and there again not available. There is no tags on it and according to them is is an old gas powered pump with an electric motor on it now. By the description I gave them. I'm going to use on old car air filter for the intake since it doesn't have anything for a filter on it just a disc with some rings with an open section for the air to move from one ring to the other and a screen with smaller holes about 1/-1/4 inch diameter in them. Then set in place and wire up.

here's what I'm using on an old Quincy took top and bottom plates that hold the air filter in place to the a.p. store and found one that fit...works great

mvphoto95736.jpg

engine oil is not recommended as it has too many additives. ideal is mineral oil 20 wt. usually compressor oil says compressor oil. so why not use that gallon of oil?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back