Looking for Deere chopper head

tomstractorsandtoys

I am looking for a direct cut head for a John Deere forage harvester. In some areas they called them mower bar heads. Deere made both a six ft and an eight ft. I would prefer an eight but would consider a six. Needs to be a good usable head. They fit the 34,35,38,3800,3940-3950 and the 3960-3970 machines. I had a good one and after not using it for 10 years decided to sell it. I have now changed my operation and would like to find one again for chopping oats and triticale. Willing to travel from the east coast to midwest. Anyone know of any setting around? Thanks Tom
cvphoto70869.jpg

I'm still keeping my eyes open and one never knows as to when but the spring auction season is looking very sparse right now.

I have one for a JD ,,, I think mine is a #12 chopper I will snap a pic of it,, its in great shape and looks to have seen little use,, bad thing will be is I am in NE Wyoming
cnt

I'll look for a deere head for you if you look for a new holland corn head for me. Right now I have a worn out cutterbar head and I green-chop sweet corn with it for the cows (after selling the ears, of course). Does ok unless the corn is real tall. Need a corn head for a New Holland 717 chopper--one row or two row (wide).

Ray that corn head is something I think that I could find for you as there are lots of NH machines here in WI. I wonder if you can put a 824 on a 717. The 824 was the best head built for corn. There are even Deere machines with the 824's on them. Tom

This one is a 6' model,, sorry I could not get better pics but can when I can move it with a loader if you like, I think it has a model tag but did not see it today, let me know if you are interested I will get better pics after I move it out of the grass,
cvphoto70893.jpg

cvphoto70894.jpg

cvphoto70895.jpg

Keep in mind that between the 3800 and the 39xx series they moved the header slip clutch from the chopper to the head. So a mismatch can get you two slip clutches or leave you with none. I think the sprockets will still align.

Possible but NH handle "bundles" pertaining to each harvester in terms of mounting a head. I had a 782 and now a 790 and know that an 824 from a 718 or a 900 will not readily mount on the 790. So you need to know what a head was perviously mounted on to know if it will fit. I would have to check but I believe that the 717 and 718 have different throats.

Thanks for the pics. That is for a 6 or 12. The later heads are yellow. Last summer we made a silage bag with my 12 and a head like that. I just would like to find a head for the newer choppers as depending on a 60 year old machine makes me nervous.If you were closer I would buy it for parts.The pic is from 2 years ago chopping double crop oats in Dec. Tom
cvphoto70911.jpg

Case nutty 1660: are you looking to get rid of that mower bar head? I have a #12 chopper with the other 3 heads (pickup, 1 row and 2 row) and I don't have a mower bar head. It looks to be in good shape and if you are getting rid of it I am interested. Please let me know. Thank you Jason

No worries was hoping someone would need it someday,, but got me to thinking yesterday I might be able to use it for something myself,, that is a great shot for sure could have been in sales lit,, was there any seed left in the oats by then? Here they would have been shelled by then or ate by my wildlife stock lol

I have not used my #12 yet. My chopper is my next project to go into the shop once I get my baler finished. I don't think it is going to need a whole bunch of work just a thorough cleaning and service. I recently bought the #12 from Idaho and the story behind it is that the chopper was used stationary to chop the bottom bales of old hay stacks. The bales would get thrown in by hand with the hay pickup head on. The chopper only came with the hay pickup head and that hay pickup head still has original paint on the pickup bands so I don't believe the chopper has been used a whole lot.

I saw a one row head setting behind a neighbors house over on the highway. There hasnt been cows on that place for 30 years, so it must have been in a old shed covered up. It looks pretty shinny from the road. I new the last guy who farmed there, and he had a two row 717. This one may have seen very little use. I could check on it if you would like? Wife knows the people who live in the house, sure a couple bucks would buy it. Al

That would be great if you get a chance to ask about it and maybe take a picture. I'm in southern Indiana. Where is this head? Thanks!

I just bought a Fox chopper, in Ia. Then bought a almost never used direct cut head from a dealer in Il. to fit it. Dealer thinks this head may have never been bolted on. Came with the chopper and three different heads. I was lucky to talk the dealer out of it without buying the whole shabang. Finding these heads is getting harder each year. I will build a small shed to keep this one I bought in so it will never see a much weather unless it is being used. Hope to never need an other. Al

What I was doing is planting rye after soybeans then the next summer we combine the rye and as soon as possible (Mid to late Aug) notill 2 1/2 bu oats and a few pounds of tillage radishes. Sometimes the oats will be out in head. We need a hard freeze to kill the oats so they can dry down. We often chop them in Dec. even after snow. Just keep the head up. It is a little wetter feed than I like and that late in the year it does not ferment which causes it to heat just a little but that keeps it from freezing so hard. Feed man tested it and likes it. The worst is the cold and snow at harvest. Tom

Thank you for offering help with parts for the #12. I will be sure to ask if I do need parts. If you do come across a #12 mower bar head in good usable condition please keep me in mind as I would be interested

Case nutty: if you happen to change plans and decide to get rid of your mower bar head down the road please keep me in mind as I am interested. Thank you. Jason

Jason,, sure open to offers on it I was just thinking out loud on being able to use it,, I also have a one row head and the chopper unit,, email should be open if you like
cnt

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back