Looking for good 8N rebuild

Kingstonfarm

New User
I just inherited my dad's 1950 8N tractor (his grand father bought it new) and I am looking to restore completely - most of the parts are in place and it runs barely - I was looking for someone around Memphis Tn that knows these tractors and could actually restore for me- engine overhaul - fuel, electric, cooling etc... also looking for complete paint job and restoration to original condition. Does anyone know of someone within the area?

.... and I am looking to restore completely ....

That can be a wide range depending on who you talk to . Get it in writing , but I doubt that you will get a good price up front before it is disassembled and trusting someone with an open check book is a big gamble .

N Complete completely restores these old Fords . It would probably be worth it to have it shipped there if you want perfect , otherwise you may be paying for someone to learn the do's on dont's on your dime .

To pay someone you are looking at an easy $5K unless they cut corners .

I've never checked N Complete's prices but
would bet they would charge closer to double
that $5K for one of their restorations on an
N.

(quoted from post at 12:41:08 04/04/16) I've never checked N Complete's prices but
N.

Back when they were still under the original management and still posting prices (quite some time ago) their base cost to restore [b:cbc78e952d][u:cbc78e952d]YOUR[/u:cbc78e952d][/b:cbc78e952d] operational 8n was north of $8k. Hand rubbed show quality urethane with clear coat paint job was another thousand or so. And I am sure any major issues like replacing roached castings or cracked blocks was also additional. Their claim was they would essentially "re-manufacture" the tractor inside and out. I'm sure they did a really good job for that price ;-)

TOH

(quoted from post at 10:26:21 04/04/16)
(quoted from post at 12:41:08 04/04/16) I've never checked N Complete's prices but
N.

Back when they were still under the original management and still posting prices (quite some time ago) their base cost to restore [b:321ec1a441][u:321ec1a441]YOUR[/u:321ec1a441][/b:321ec1a441] operational 8n was north of $8k. Hand rubbed show quality urethane with clear coat paint job was another thousand or so. And I am sure any major issues like replacing roached castings or cracked blocks was also additional. Their claim was they would essentially "re-manufacture" the tractor inside and out. I'm sure they did a really good job for that price ;-)

TOH
es thanks, considered N Complete, but its about 600 miles away and the prices of their rebuild is well north of $10K, was hoping to find a good shop/person closer home and for less of a restoration.

(quoted from post at 14:07:31 04/04/16)
N.

Back when they were still under the original management and still posting prices (quite some time ago) their base cost to restore [b:4b7c6daded][u:4b7c6daded]YOUR[/u:4b7c6daded][/b:4b7c6daded] operational 8n was north of $8k. Hand rubbed show quality urethane with clear coat paint job was another thousand or so. And I am sure any major issues like replacing roached castings or cracked blocks was also additional. Their claim was they would essentially "re-manufacture" the tractor inside and out. I'm sure they did a really good job for that price ;-)

TOH
es thanks, considered N Complete, but its about 600 miles away and the prices of their rebuild is well north of $10K, was hoping to find a good shop/person closer home and for less of a restoration.

Even doing it yourself a "restoration to original condition" with more than just makeup is going to run you $5K.

Any body man can do the sheetmetal - there isn't a lot of it and you can load it into a pickup and take it to them in pieces. Maybe get away for under $500 if there isn't a lot of rot to fix or new panels to buy.

Take the engine to a good automotive machine shop and they will rebuild it for you - probably $2500 and up if they do a thorough job. Maybe $1500 for a dunk and paint job.

New tires all around another $1500.

New electricals - another $500

Wire brush and spray the chassis yourself - free ;-)

As you can see the costs escalate rapidly...

TOH

(quoted from post at 11:28:45 04/04/16)
(quoted from post at 14:07:31 04/04/16)
N.

Back when they were still under the original management and still posting prices (quite some time ago) their base cost to restore [b:aefea0e444][u:aefea0e444]YOUR[/u:aefea0e444][/b:aefea0e444] operational 8n was north of $8k. Hand rubbed show quality urethane with clear coat paint job was another thousand or so. And I am sure any major issues like replacing roached castings or cracked blocks was also additional. Their claim was they would essentially "re-manufacture" the tractor inside and out. I'm sure they did a really good job for that price ;-)

TOH

Even doing it yourself a "restoration to original condition" with more than just makeup is going to run you $5K.

Any body man can do the sheetmetal - there isn't a lot of it and you can load it into a pickup and take it to them in pieces. Maybe get away for under $500 if there isn't a lot of rot to fix or new panels to buy.

Take the engine to a good automotive machine shop and they will rebuild it for you - probably $2500 and up if they do a thorough job. Maybe $1500 for a dunk and paint job.

New tires all around another $1500.

New electricals - another $500

Wire brush and spray the chassis yourself - free ;-)

As you can see the costs escalate rapidly...

TOH
Thanks, I like this option and I think this is the right approach for me - I will keep looking for someone in the area that might be familiar with these types of jobs. thanks

Kingstonfarm,I live close to Memphis,and may be able to help you out.Email is open email me and we can talk.

(quoted from post at 17:19:30 04/04/16) Kingstonfarm,I live close to Memphis,and may be able to help you out.Email is open email me and we can talk.
en N MS- I am new to the forum and am looking for your email and as soon as I find it, I will send you an email so we can talk, mine is open as well, I think, and you can email me while I try to find your email.

kingston: if u look at the thread in modern view, there's a button at the bottom of den's post to let u send him an email. yours is not set like that - u can enable it in your account settings.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back