manure spreader wheels

TTOMTT

New User
I have an unk, model manure spreader. It has 16" tires 5 lug. 5on 5 pattern. Trying to remove the wheel and after removing the lug bolts and nuts, I found a retainer that was held on by a cotter pin. removing the retainer the wheel would still not come off, it seems to be attached to a gear box behind the wheel.
Any suggestions to remove the wheel other than removing the whole axel. I will attach a photo, hopefully to ID the spreader.
Thanks for any help.
Tom

Attachments

• 20200921_142850.jpg
    20200921_142850.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
I would suspect they are that rusted on from not being taken off in the last 50 years. Soak them in some diesel fuel with a brush a couple times a day for a couple days or less and they will probably just knock off with a sledge hammer from the back side. It might also be easier to just change the tires right on the spreader if that is what you want them off for.

I would suspect they are that rusted on from not being taken off in the last 50 years. Soak them in some diesel fuel with a brush a couple times a day for a couple days or less and they will probably just knock off with a sledge hammer from the back side. It might also be easier to just change the tires right on the spreader if that is what you want them off for.
Thanks, I am beginning to think about just changing the tire.

If it's a ground drive spreader the hub the wheel bolts to is a ratchet or one way clutch type thing. When the tire rolls forward it turns the axle. When the tire rolls backwards it spins ON the axle and you should hear the clutch dogs clicking inside. The retainer and cotter pin merely keep the assembly in place on the axle. Does any of that happen? If not then maybe you might want to work on getting it apart and get it working right again.

The rig cannot be moved right now. My problem is getting the wheel off. Do the clutch dogs and all come off with the wheel?
Thanks, Can you tell the MFG. from the picture?
Thanks, Tom

Typically the wheel comes off by itself once the lug bolts or nuts come off. Typically again, the hub comes off once the cotter pin and retainer come off. That is of course, provided it's ever been greased and has been used a little over the years. In your case it sounds like a little extra persuasion might be needed to get anything apart. Usually a few well placed smacks will break the tire loose.

I have an unk, model manure spreader. It has 16" tires 5 lug. 5on 5 pattern. Trying to remove the wheel and after removing the lug bolts and nuts, I found a retainer that was held on by a cotter pin. removing the retainer the wheel would still not come off, it seems to be attached to a gear box behind the wheel.
Any suggestions to remove the wheel other than removing the whole axel. I will attach a photo, hopefully to ID the spreader.
Thanks for any help.
Tom
It's ironic that the very thing you're having trouble with is completely obscured by weeds in your picture.

Can you get a close-up of the wheel?

Also what is the goal here? Just changing the tire? Trying to get at the mechanics underneath?

It's ironic that the very thing you're having trouble with is completely obscured by weeds in your picture.

Can you get a close-up of the wheel?

Also what is the goal here? Just changing the tire? Trying to get at the mechanics underneath?
To go along with the close-up of the wheel BE mentioned, pictures of castings showing any numbers or other markings, might lead to identifying the manufacturer of it.

To go along with the close-up of the wheel BE mentioned, pictures of castings showing any numbers or other markings, might lead to identifying the manufacturer of it.
I will get better pictures today. The main goal is to put a better tire on. It sounds like the wheel should come off without a removal of the cog mechanism?

Got it off with PB Blaster and a few light hits with a large hammer. I would still like to know the Mfg. if anyone can help.
Thanks everyone for the advise.
Tom

Attachments

• 100_2289.JPG spreader 2.JPG
    100_2289.JPG spreader 2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • 100_2291.JPG spreader.JPG
    100_2291.JPG spreader.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 31

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back