Massey 65 Diesel - No Throttle Response

jsoluna

Hello all,

I am attempting to revive a Massey 65 Diesel that died and would not restart. I found the the owner had not done anything with the fuel filters or sediment bowl in decades. After cleaning and inspecting and replacing the fuel filters, I primed the low pressure side of the system until I had flow at the injector pump and then eventually got it to fire off and run after bleeding the lines to the injectors.

It does not respond to throttle input though. The only way I can get it to start is to move the shutoff valve back and forth and then set it for full throttle. It will then start and rev up, run fine for a few seconds, but then the RPMs will drop and it will settle into probably 1500RPM. Movement of the throttle lever between full and half does nothing, and movement below half will cause it to idle down and die. Restarting in full throttle will help it regain RPM but again it will not hold. Occasionally it won't restart at all, and moving the shutoff valve back and forth several times seem to do the trick.

I have checked the linkage at the pump, everything seems intact. There are no external leaks in the fuel system anywhere. Flow from the lift pump seems good.

I'm not an experienced diesel mechanic, but what I thinking based on the state of the fuel system (see pics) when I replaced filters and the fact that a restart and messing with the shutoff valve helps is that I have a stuck metering valve or governor in the pump. High hour machine with little to no maintenance.

Do you all agree or is there something I should be doing before I dive into the pump. If it is the injector pump, is a reseal kit the way to go, or should I just bite the bullet any assume internal wear and purchase a rebuilt unit?

I run an outdoor power equipment repair shop, but most of my experience is with gas engines, which is why I'm reaching out here.

mvphoto108558.jpg

mvphoto108559.jpg

mvphoto108560.jpg

mvphoto108561.jpg

[/img:e0d74eb56b]

(quoted from post at 02:33:08 08/14/23) From the looks of the filter I would think you are going to have to get the injector pump rebuilt

That was my gut reaction too. I can't imagine the internals of that pump are healthy.

Do you have a recommendation for a source on a rebuilt/reman'd pump assembly? Customer is in need of a quick fix, so sending the pump out for rebuild is probably not in the cards.

OUCH! And I thought one of my filters looked bad:-( There is a regular poster on this site that rebuilds them, Dieseltech, and he has a GREAT reputation for his work. If it were mine I would pull that pump and send it to him so fast your eyes would spin! I'm NOT saying it's even rebuildable but I would try him before I bought ANY rebuild that may or may not be up to specs. It MAY be that yours is junk given how bad it looks but I would want him to say no before I shelled out the $$$ for a rebuild. MY opinion only, worth every penny you paid for it. His contact info is available on Modern View, search for one of his later posts. Good Luck with it!

if you can get it run by messing with the shutoff valve, is it possible there is a bunch of sediment in the bottom of the fuel tank causing the line to clog?

(quoted from post at 08:57:22 08/18/23) if you can get it run by messing with the shutoff valve, is it possible there is a bunch of sediment in the bottom of the fuel tank causing the line to clog?

I should clarify - not the shutoff valve at the tank, the shutoff at the injection pump. Cycling that valve rapidly seems to make a difference in whether or not it will start. I have confirmed good fuel supply to the injection pump by cracking the line from the secondary filter to the injection pump and observing fuel flow while cranking and while running.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back