Massey Ferguson 2200 Forklift no oil to hydraulic pump.

Update #3

Just ordered 5' of suction line. By the way if anyone needs any 1.25" suction line Burden Surplus sells it for 7.50/ft with a 1ft minimum. I'm sure there's some place around me that sells it but I don't have the time to run all over searching so just ordered it. I didn't use any rags to plug the lines I used rubber stoppers like you find in chemistry labs, I'm a chemist so use what you know. There's got to be something blocking the line because I'm not getting more than a thin line of hydraulic oil at the pump. You can't get the line completely off the pump without removing the pump so even that could be from the pump itself. I don't think the problem is the pump because the hydraulics worked fine before I rebuilt the engine. What happened is the engine was rebuilt a while back by someone who overtorqued the nut on the camshaft and stripped the threads and instead of pulling the cam and fixing the issue just left it. So the previous owner said he had it running but wasn't right. I drove into my garage thinking all it needed was the governor replaced. As I started digging I found the cam issue which lead me to pull the head and the cylinder bores looked awful, so I did a full rebuild. New sleeves, new pistons, new mains, and rod bears, new tappets, new camshaft, and new manifold. That last one being necessary because the old one tipped over and broke. I also lapped the valves and rebuilt the oil pump. Washed the engine all out as well. I don't understand this hydraulic issue because I plugged both sides of the this hard line as soon as I it was opened with rubber stoppers and did the same to the pump and the pressure side. I put plugs in every line and fitting that I opened to make sure not dirt, water, etc got into the system anywhere. I've tried pressurizing the suction line from the filter side to the pump side with it attached to the pump and with it pulled as far off the pump as it will go and have just managed to cover myself in hydraulic fluid. Not my first time working on hydraulic systems but the first time I've gotten stymied to this point. Dad had a dumptruck that would start and die and it ended up being a small piece of rubber line had peeled off on the inside of the line and would allow gas to flow when it wasn't under suction but would block when it was so maybe that is the issue here. I'm going to change rubber sections and see if that helps. Thanks again for all your suggestions. Sometimes you get so focused on something you can't think clearly anymore. Think I'll take the next couple days and work on my kids birthday present, a minibike and get that running. I'll be back on here as soon as I get the suction line and have something new to tell you all. Once again thanks everyone and have a wonderful day.

Update #4 I'm an idiot. All that time, all that work, and it was the plug that I put in the line. It must have slid into the line because I remember the line having oil in it. Today I drained the tank again and pulled off the filter again and since I got the new suction line in figured I would start by changing the roughly one foot section near the filter first. I went ahead and pulled it off and noticed I couldn't see through it. Couple minutes later the culprit was found and after putting everything back together I was indeed getting oil at the pump now my hydraulics are working just fine. Next time I do this I'll make sure in get larger plugs that can't slip into the suction line and cause problems. This is definitely a mistake I will learn from and won't make again. Thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions.

Update #4 I'm an idiot. All that time, all that work, and it was the plug that I put in the line. It must have slid into the line because I remember the line having oil in it. Today I drained the tank again and pulled off the filter again and since I got the new suction line in figured I would start by changing the roughly one foot section near the filter first. I went ahead and pulled it off and noticed I couldn't see through it. Couple minutes later the culprit was found and after putting everything back together I was indeed getting oil at the pump now my hydraulics are working just fine. Next time I do this I'll make sure in get larger plugs that can't slip into the suction line and cause problems. This is definitely a mistake I will learn from and won't make again. Thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions.
Glad to hear you found the problem. You aren't the first to have had this happen to them and you won't be the last.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back