Massey Ferguson 270

JC Ky

New User
My tractor hydraulics will work until fluid warms up, then light comes on and hydraulics quit working. The hydraulic pump, fluid, and filter has been changed, and it is still doing the same thing. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue?

What do you mean by "hydraulics"? Three point, auxiliaries, or both? I ran into a problem with a 270 a couple years back. In my case it wouldn't work when cold. I never tried to let it warm up to check for any difference. My solution was rather unorthodox, but it worked and is still working today as far as I know.

What do you mean by "hydraulics"? Three point, auxiliaries, or both? I ran into a problem with a 270 a couple years back. In my case it wouldn't work when cold. I never tried to let it warm up to check for any difference. My solution was rather unorthodox, but it worked and is still working today as far as I know.
After the fluid warms up the 3rd arm will drop. If you shut the tractor down for about 5 minutes, then restart it will work for a couple minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_3896.jpeg
    IMG_3896.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Here is one possibility, but I am not sure how that tractor is set up. By your description of… “I shut it off five minutes and restart it and have hydraulics for a couple of minutes” Sounds like a symptom of an intake screen for the pump clogging with debris. When shut off the debris falls off, then restarting, it gets sucked back onto the screen.

My point is there are two pumps in there. One for the three point and one for auxiliaries. They share a common suction screen and manifold. Do they both stop working or just the lift pump? The one I had problems with it was only with the lift pump/ The other one always worked. I'm just trying to establish your symptoms are similar.

Okay, the situation sounds very much like like what I went through. Is the tractor all back together at this point or are you still working on it? Two things I would suggest you try next, which one first would be up to you.

1) Remove the right side cover so you can see the linkage as it operates against the control valve roller. I know that's not as simple as it sounds thanks to the brake cylinders and lines that have to be dealt with. I got extremely frustrated with that after three or four rounds of removing and installing all of it. However, that was how I eventually figured out why the lift wasn't working.

2) Drain the fluid again, remove the suction screen. Put the cover back on, put the oil back in and try it again. See what happens.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back