MF 135/150 Multi power lock out Low side

Louis N.

New User
Trying to learn more about making a multipower operate the same as a standard 6 speed. The main goal here is to make sure it has engine braking and the normal travel speeds as the high side is too fast for steep ground. On a MF 135/150 Could anyone explain a little more about locking out the Multi power? I am trying to figure out how to lock one in the low side. Do you use a spacer or weld gears together? If a spacer is used, do the gears have a little play? Did you also remove the secondary MP pump and linkage?

With this done to make it full time low, is the speed the same as other 6 speed MF perkins tractors y'all have used?

Many thanks.

I suggest you get (and study) a service manual on the multipower transmission. Once you do that and understand how the feature works, what parts are involved, etc, then you might be a little better prepared for a discussion.

For openers, if you want engine braking, you want high range. If you want speeds equal to a standard six speed, you want high range.

Regardless of what you decide to shoot for, you're in for a transmission tear down one way or the other, so if going in that deep, why not just fix it rather than butcher it?

I would like a little more info. It appears the Multi-power has some problem. If the MP works fine I could not see any good reason to actually disable it. What are you doing with this tractor that makes the Hi side of the MP to fast? Does the tractor have good brakes? If the tractor starts coasting too fast in low MP the brakes should always be there to slow it down. If the free wheeling or non-engine braking is that much of an issue then for one I say you need to just become more ..in-tune.. with the machine and be aware of how it may respond. If your effort is to make the machine safer for a young operator then in part I understand your reasoning.

I don't know a thing about Multi-power or mad farmers . Sounds like you need to just buy another tractor with a gear transmission,like an old H,M,A,B IH or Deere and for get about all the fancy stuff

(quoted from post at 22:17:02 06/26/23) I would like a little more info. It appears the Multi-power has some problem. If the MP works fine I could not see any good reason to actually disable it. What are you doing with this tractor that makes the Hi side of the MP to fast? Does the tractor have good brakes? If the tractor starts coasting too fast in low MP the brakes should always be there to slow it down. If the free wheeling or non-engine braking is that much of an issue then for one I say you need to just become more ..in-tune.. with the machine and be aware of how it may respond. If your effort is to make the machine safer for a young operator then in part I understand your reasoning.

These MFs were known for this problem. The idea that the brakes "should be there", is a wish and not good safe planning or living.

I grew up brush hogging with a MF 135 in the mountains of WV. I probably shifted the multi-power at least once every lap around the field, needing the engine braking on the down slopes, the low speed on the up slopes, and whatever speed I could get if I had a level stretch. I can't imagine anyone using that feature any harder than I did, and it worked flawlessly.

It is possible to override the freewheeling feature of low MP. Masseynut posted the procedure on 11-15-2010 at 01:35:49. I assume that is Pacific time. Maybe you can find it in the archives. It is necessary to disable High MP if you do this. Otherwise you could have 2 gear sets trying to turn the output shaft at 2 different speeds at the same time.

Low will free wheel,in high it can be hard to shift the manual side. There is nothing that should be locked out of the MP system.

This is a picture from big Dean's CD years ago

cvphoto157352.jpg

Multi-Power clutch lock

Bart

That said...
I use tractors with Multi-Power since they introduced it in the 1959-1960
If the Multi-Power system is not defective I would use it as is
and read the operator manual carefuly about it.

If defective the parts will be very expensive or no longer available
If the tractor is equippend with independant PTO (IPTO) the pump must be
kept in place to operate IPTO.

My humble opinion

Bart

I agree with Caterpillar Guy , all this junk is nice when it works ,I used to cut and bale 100 of hay with a John Deere 50 and 60 ,very few problems

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back