MF 35 Special oil dripping out of starter

oneofeach

I took old starter of and bendix area was covered in oil. I put on new starter and it had drain hole in the bottom and watery oil dripped out when running. It seems as if the old starter had no drain hole, and the watery oil accumulated over I'd say a few years. I took the plate off of the bottom of the bell housing and everything in the cavity drained out. The problem may be solved, my old fords have a drain hole in the bottom of the bell housing with cotter pin in it to rattle around and keep it from plugging I see no such feature on the MF am I correct or missing something? ( first old MF I've worked on) any thoughts on the oil accumulation or would it be somewhat normal, if only it could escape?

Like any dry clutch housing, it should not have oil (and water) in there. It sounds like the rear main and/or transmission input seal are leaking. A split is required to repair it. Usually, black oil means engine rear main, light brown oil is usually from the transmission.

I think the 35s had at least one cotter pin in a hole to let oil out. Look in the area under the flywheel, the pin may be gone.

It may have a dipstick in a cover on the right side of the transmission case below the three-point controls. Best to invest in an Operator's Manual for it. And a service manual if you are going to split it to repair the oil leak(s).

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back