Mitsubishi K3B Diesel Engine loss of power

Mtjohnso

I have a Satoh Mitsubishi Buck with the Mitsubishi K3B diesel engine. Drove it down to the neighbors field to brush hog. Has I started to run the brush hog it lost power, which I think is coincidental. Did not have enough power to drive itself home so I towed it home with an Old Farmall Super A.
It will start after sitting for a while and run up to about 1500 rpm before it starts to miss. It will run for about 2 to 3 minutes before it dies completely. Below 1500 rpm it will die if you put a load on the engine.
So it seems like it is a fuel starvation issue. This would point to the injector pump or possible the injectors themselves. Unlikely that all three are failing at once.
I did check fuel flow to the injector pump right after the engine stalled and there was plenty of fuel. I suppose there could still possibly be something in the fuel tank or the filter assembly that is getting in the way when the engine is running and then floating up when the engine quits.
So what steps do I need to take to trouble shoot this? Should I just remove the Injector pump and injectors and take them into a shop? Anything I can check before pulling the pump off?

If you haven"t already done it, change the fuel filters... there may also be a filter in the outlet from the tank (never seen your model of tractor in the flesh, so not sure on that), if you have access to an air compressor it might be worth disconnecting the fuel lines between the injection pump and the fuel tank and blowing them out. If the tractor has a mechanical fuel lift pump, might be worth getting it checked out.

Often the strainer at the tank outlet will clog and limit fuel flow. other possibilities are fuel filters and water separators.
Eliminate everything else before you suspect the pump. If fuel flow is adequate, make sure the air filter is not clogged. It takes fuel AND air to run and IC engine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back