MM Canadian UTS - Date of Mfg?

tirediron

Our club received the donation of an MM UTS a few years ago, and we've decided to tackle it as a restoration project. It's had a few modifications over its life, and has home-brew rear steel and a few other bits and pieces. Now that I have the right data tag, I assumed that I would be able to date it, but the SN on the tag still does not match anything I can find on any database for a UTS. Full disclosure: I know nothing about MM other than they're yellow; it's a very rare brand on Vancouver Island and I'm only aware of one other in the region, so not a lot of local resources to call on.

Another puzzling thing is that it has the mesh grill (sorry, couldn't get a photo) of the late 30s MM; see this image for comparison: https://stock.adobe.com/au/images/1937-minneapolis-moline-ztu-farm-tractor/507927923 vice the ribbed grill of the late 40s/50s models. I've included several images in the hope that some of the resident MM experts can help me with this date. I also have some follow-on questions about water pump seals, but one thing at a time.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Casting_No (Medium).JPG
    Casting_No (Medium).JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Chassis_Tag (Medium).JPG
    Chassis_Tag (Medium).JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Engine_Tag (Medium).JPG
    Engine_Tag (Medium).JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Rear (Medium).JPG
    Rear (Medium).JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Right_Side (Medium).JPG
    Right_Side (Medium).JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 64
Our club received the donation of an MM UTS a few years ago, and we've decided to tackle it as a restoration project. It's had a few modifications over its life, and has home-brew rear steel and a few other bits and pieces. Now that I have the right data tag, I assumed that I would be able to date it, but the SN on the tag still does not match anything I can find on any database for a UTS. Full disclosure: I know nothing about MM other than they're yellow; it's a very rare brand on Vancouver Island and I'm only aware of one other in the region, so not a lot of local resources to call on.

Another puzzling thing is that it has the mesh grill (sorry, couldn't get a photo) of the late 30s MM; see this image for comparison: https://stock.adobe.com/au/images/1937-minneapolis-moline-ztu-farm-tractor/507927923 vice the ribbed grill of the late 40s/50s models. I've included several images in the hope that some of the resident MM experts can help me with this date. I also have some follow-on questions about water pump seals, but one thing at a time.

Thanks in advance!
For the U series it appears the 1939 units started with serial number 310647. 1940 started with 312451. that would make 310942 a 1939 serial number according to the list on TractorData.

MM U series

now i am curious why u posted the K SERIES in your post yesterday, as they are two different models. now got to jump back and forth to view each one. and yes it would be rare in vancouver , but not rare around alberta. they are out there.

now i am curious why u posted the K SERIES in your post yesterday, as they are two different models. now got to jump back and forth to view each one. and yes it would be rare in vancouver , but not rare around alberta. they are out there.
That was actually the engine tag... I wasn't aware of it as one of the other members sent me the photo and I simply posted it; in retrospect, the bore & stroke on the tag should have been a clue! :rolleyes:

The model U used different engines different years. KEF, KEC ect until the 283 designation.

Is a early 1939 UTS. Later in 39 hood was changed and breather moved to front of carb. 1938-40 used the KEC (babbitted) motor.1941-48 KEF single block/head motor(precision bearings) Red nose 1938-41. I have a 1939 twin with same steel wheels for the 32 inch hub. Mine was sold here in Canada and has Waterloo tag.

Attachments

• 100_1426.JPG
    100_1426.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
Is a early 1939 UTS. Later in 39 hood was changed and breather moved to front of carb. 1938-40 used the KEC (babbitted) motor.1941-48 KEF single block/head motor(precision bearings) Red nose 1938-41. I have a 1939 twin with same steel wheels for the 32 inch hub. Mine was sold here in Canada and has Waterloo tag.
Thank-you! Very helpful - so the rear steel is [semi-]legitimate? Was there a option for front rubber and rear steel, or is it the fronts that have been changed? I had thought it might be a war-production unit with the rear steel.

Thank-you! Very helpful - so the rear steel is [semi-]legitimate? Was there a option for front rubber and rear steel, or is it the fronts that have been changed? I had thought it might be a war-production unit with the rear steel.
All of that time frame were on steel and no electrics and rubber was option. Early UTS UDLX GT had 32 inch hubs with tire option. Over 35 plus years of MM collecting I have seen 3 with those wheels. Here in Canada rubber restrictions of war time all steel. Two of my 39's have cast steering wheel because of war restrictions.

Attachments

• 000_1665.JPG
    000_1665.JPG
    350.3 KB · Views: 16
All of that time frame were on steel and no electrics and rubber was option. Early UTS UDLX GT had 32 inch hubs with tire option. Over 35 plus years of MM collecting I have seen 3 with those wheels. Here in Canada rubber restrictions of war time all steel. Two of my 39's have cast steering wheel because of war restrictions.
Interesting, thank-you!

Can't tell what your front wheels are as cloth over. Some were cutoff steel with rims for rubber welded on. Have a 1943 with front spoked cutoffs. Another couple of mine.

Attachments

• 1940 Uts.JPG
    1940 Uts.JPG
    543 KB · Views: 17
  • PICT0105.JPG
    PICT0105.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 16
Can't tell what your front wheels are as cloth over. Some were cutoff steel with rims for rubber welded on. Have a 1943 with front spoked cutoffs. Another couple of mine.
I'll have to have a closer look at them and see. Thanks! Always neat to learn more about a machine - really appreciate all the input.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back