My air comperssor tank split.

Fired up my compressor yesterday to air up some tires.
It got to pressure and auto shut off, but I heard a hissing.
On the bottom, near the tank drain was a 3" long slit.
It was only 21 years old(grin).

The old one is (was?) a 5hp, 230v, 80 gal upright that produced
12 cfm @ 90psi.

Any recommendations on a new, equal size compressor?

Thanks.....don t. ....

If the compressor is still good, why not just get a new tank for it? Probably split from a little water that didn't come out the drain and caused corrosion.

I have a 10 year old air receiver from one of those cheapie I-R box-store units. The 5hp compressor is no good but the vertical tank should be. Could be around 80 gallons. Nice paint and decals. I'd let it go for $100. I am in Eastern Massachusetts.

Also have several horizontal receivers in unknown condition. They would have to be hydro-statically pressure tested before I sold them.

Many years ago, I had an air receiver develop a leak. It turned out to be pin hole corrosion. I brazed it up and used it for a few more years until I scrapped it. Glad to see it go. I am only using 3 phase industrial 15hp compressors now.

Have a look at the Welding Web in the safety section and see what can happen when a small compressor tank explodes,It will change your mind on running old air compressors.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back