My dad's old Case tractor

Ron Sa

If you are in the deep freeze (-15) like I am, here is a tractor story to read if you want to.

This was my dad’s tractor and it now resided in my barn, in running condition, in central Illinois. It is a family heirloom. I was born in early 39 and this tractor was built only few months earlier in 38. That makes us both 75 years old. That’s me in the blue cap my older brother in the gray cap and my younger brother in the red cap.

I first saw this tractor at about age 11 parked at a machinery lot in Eskridge, Kansas. I suppose it got my attention because it was parked close to the road and it looked a little weird to me. It was configured like the later DC4. It had big diameter steel wheels behind and rubber tires in front but It looked very nose down as if the front wheels were in a ditch.

I never gave this Case a second thought because my older brother and I both wanted dad to get rid of his worn out Rumley DoAll and buy an “affordable” John Deere GP. We were financially poor farmers so a late model tractor was definitely out of the question. Dad farmed with junk but he was a skilled blacksmith and he could fix up junk.

I had seen various John Deere GPs setting out back on junk row at John Deere dealers. To my surprise one day, dad told my older brother and me that he had bought a tractor and we were going to go drive it home. As I recall, dad would not tell us what he bought so we rode the 12 mile to Eskridge in suspense. A John Deere dealer was in Eskridge and I wanted a GP. Hope! Hope! I was disappointed when dad drove on by the John Deere dealer about half a mile and stopped near this weird, 11 year old Case tractor and proceeded to tell us that he had bought it. <sigh>

This old Case tractor still looked weird but in a different way than when I had first seen it a few weeks earlier. Days before we arrived to drive it home, dad had made a deal with the dealer to cut the tall steel wheels off and weld on small 10-24 inch rims that were the correct size for a pair of almost bald rear tires that dad could afford. Now, this still weird looking tractor sat level but the fenders were way too big for the small tires. Later, dad lowered the fenders as they are seen in the pictures.

We always called it a C Case---because it looked more like a C than a CC. The serial tag says it’s a CC. It might have originally had the narrow goose neck up front. Maybe some forerunners of the DC4 were also tagged CC. I don’t know. I have always been curious about its original configuration. The front axle spindles are in their low axle position. This suggests the front axle was taken from a model C and put on the CC.
Can anyone trace a serial number as to how the factory may have configured my dad’s tractor? Was there an un-styled C series forerunner to the DC4? If so, how was it labeled on the serial plate? A neighbor had a C series (un-styled) with large diameter rears with its front axle spindles in the high axle position. It went fast on the road as if it had a 4th gear. Was there every an un-styled C series with a 4th gear?

My older brother was about 15 at the time and dad allowed him to run it in the field. He soon recognized the good features of this old Case tractor. For a year or more, I stewed over the fact that it’s not a John Deere. However, I could not overlook how much power it had. It had about twice as much as the old DoAll. I could not overlook the fact that when belted to the feed grinder, the belt did not go flippidy-flop as John Deere’s in the neighborhood were known to cause the belt to do.

It would ALWAYS start on the 3rd or 4th pull of the crank on the coldest days. Dad later added an un-styled B John Deere to the farm for light work but it would hardly start in cold weather. The oil clutch with hand lever on the C was a dream. One could stand on the ground and inch the tractor forward or back to hook it up. My uncle’s Regular and F20 Farmalls were beasts to hook up and drive but dad’s C was not that way.

The feed grinder was an easy belt chore but my Uncle’s large, stationary silage cutter needed a big horse on the belt. The C was up to the task. One day while chopping silage, a young man and dad were pitching corn bundles into the silage cutter. The young man said to dad—“bet I can kill that old Case”. The young man started pitching bundles like a mad man to the point where the upper feed roller was topped out and squeezing bundles hard. I watched. The old C just barked a little louder and dropped maybe a 100 rpm. The young man gave up in what seemed about 2 minutes. I knew the old Case could spin its bald tire in third gear but the silage cutter was the real deal. This was the WOW moment for me.
Early on after we had the C for a while, another WOW moment for the Case brand was when the sound of an unusual engine was coming up the road behind the tree line. When in sight, I could see it was an LA!!! A neighbor had a son living 300 miles away in big wheat country. The son’s LA had been imported to our little community to do some heavy tillage for his dad. Our community had nothing bigger than M Farmalls and one G John Deere. I had never been around an LA. Its size and power and watching it work was another WOW moment.

I became hooked on the Case brand. During the years we used the C, I dreamed of having a DC but that was not to be until about 30 years later when I started restoring several of the D series. After about 10 years of using the old C Case, I left dad’s farm and pursued an Engineering career 400 miles away. The old C stayed on dad’s farm for 35+ years as other used tractors came and went. Many more stories could be told about the old Case. It plowed under my billfold and drivers license one day. etc. etc.

About 20 years ago, I hauled the old C Case from Kansas to my central Illinois farm. Later, dad’s 2 bottom plow that we pulled with the old Case plowing mostly tough gumbo also got hauled to my farm. Here, the old Case got new tires and paint that dried too light shade of gray. I told myself the second coat will be right but so far that has not happened. It pulls dad’s plow once in a while and has run my grain auger, etc.

The pictures were extracted from video of when my two brothers came to Illinois to play with old tractors. Several times over the years, we have plowed a 90 acre field of wheat stubble with our 10 antique tractors and my plow collection.

I don’t think the old C Case has ever been rained on since arriving in Illinois. It has priority for a parking place in my barn. Dad never had a machine shed so it sat out in the weather the first 25+ years that he had it. Dad was fussy about covering exhaust pipes so the engine’s internals stayed in good condition. Dad also made a side panel to keep the mag dry. It does not smoke and runs good. It got new Aluminum pistons and sleeves one time in the late 50s. Its paint disappeared and it became rusty.

After about 25 years, it was no longer being used as dad was no longer farming. During one of my many trips back to Kansas dad’s cattle shed now had some free space. I backed the old Case into the NE corner of the cattle shed and it sat under roof for about ten years before I hauled it to Illinois. A few of the neighbor’s cows also occupied the cattle shed and they “decorated” the old Case in the cattle shed.

A current dilemma is what will become of dad’s old C Case? My children, grandchildren, and nephew have other interest. Dad’s old Case and plow have a good story line and thus would make a good museum pair where actual history and storylines are described. Many museums want “original” and I understand that. <sigh>
a140914.jpg

a140915.jpg

a140916.jpg

a140917.jpg

Great story !!!!
It sounds like you are correct in thinking someone put a C axle under your CC.
It looks like you have CC style fenders.
I think a CC-4 should have a spacer block for the front axle to make it set level. The spindles may be different on a CC-4 than a C also.
Nick

A great story.
My grandpa's uncle had a 15-30 IH on his threshing machine. Something happened so had to find another tractor. Grandpa had a C Case and he said lets put it on the thresher. Uncle said no its to small. Well they put it on there anyway and Dad (just a boy at the time)said it handled it better then the 15-30. The governer was quicker on the C.

Enjoyed your great story, read it 3 times.,Thanks for posting.
Your dilemma , is mine and guess of many menbers;what happens with our stuff,when children or other relatives have no interest?

I agree with Nick it shod have a riser bloch between the axel and the raider support. CASE referred to it as a wide axel attachment starting with the very first CC in 1929. Then 1938 they put out some CH And they were for the most part was CC with out brakes for the western market.
Bruce

I have a CC4 front axle, and a nice set of 36" cut offs if you have a desire to make it back into a CC4. If not I understand as it is the way you always remember it. Put the grand kids on it some day when they are bored. One of them might get the disease.

great story. that tractor was a beast back in the 40' I thank back to 1968 when a new 830 case was in the drive way when i got home from school i was 12 at that time and it was the biggest tractor in the county thoes are the moments of a lifetime thanks for the story tom chesnut in a cold ky .

That is indeed a great story. The old timers I knew were always impressed with the power generated by the "little" C Case, not realizing the size of its engine.
You have certainly hit on a problem facing most of us older collectors: what to do with our beloved machines. In most cases our children don't have the same attachment to them as we do. They just didn't have to live through the times that these machines were part of the family and depended upon for survival. Don

I love old tractor , better yet I love old story's. When I was young my dad had a c on cut off. I remember he was needing a tractor and traded it to a local case dealer for a 430 sometime in the 70s . Ever time we went by there I would see it out front with the new tractors. Not sure what happen to it when the dealership closed. Thanks for sharing your memories.

This shows a view of the front axle. Does it show the spacer block you mentioned? Note the spindles are installed in the low beam position.
a141022.jpg

I know where there are two "L" Cases sitting in a farm tree row in North Dakota just wasting away. One has balloon (airplane?) tires on the rear. Might be able to make one good one from the two.

They probably could have a similar story written about them.

They are located near where Ande (who posts here) lives. Don"t know if they could be purchased. If any one is serious about them, I could ask.

Ron

(quoted from post at 05:58:05 01/07/14) This shows a view of the front axle. Does it show the spacer block you mentioned? Note the spindles are installed in the low beam position.
a141022.jpg

It looks like it does have the spacer, it is the same as the one used on the DC-4. Also as someone else mentioned your tractor has the CC-4 Fenders. My CC-4 serial tag is stamped CC as well and my two DC-4's are stamped DC also both of my SC-4's are stamped SC if that helps with your serial plate question.

Thanks for sharing that story! That is exactly why I love these old tractors. It is the story behind them and the Men that relied on them that really means something. Thanks again!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back