My tractor started by its self ....

motgirl

New User
So the tractor had been sitting for about 3 years. The wires were cut because it wouldn't turn off. So I decided to try to put the ignition back in it. The only thing that was connected to the battery was the positive and negative cables. No fuel. No starter. No generator. All the wires were disconnected. Everything even voltmeter And it started by itself. Sounded great, but it wouldn't turn off. So finally, After letting it run for about an hour. With no idea how to turn it off. I backed out the bolt on the fuel pump. And it died. Did I mention it to John Deere in 1963 Tractor”. Not a lawn mower”. With the bucket and brush hog. Basically, I decided to take everything out and completely rewire it. And boom, it started. Craziest thing I've ever seen. And what I'm asking is, anybody know why that happened? And why it won't turn off? Before I go doing this again, any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Or advice? Thank you.Also there is 1 wire coming out of the transmission I have no idea where that goes.

If it has an alternator, and the alternator is a 3 wire Delco, the ignition can be operated by backfeed to the coil. (assumes gasoline or LPG.) if there is a charge in the cylinder and voltage is applied then disconnected from the coil, the coil can spark causing it to start. it happened to my uncles tractor (different story). Jim

So the tractor had been sitting for about 3 years. The wires were cut because it wouldn't turn off. So I decided to try to put the ignition back in it. The only thing that was connected to the battery was the positive and negative cables. No fuel. No starter. No generator. All the wires were disconnected. Everything even voltmeter And it started by itself. Sounded great, but it wouldn't turn off. So finally, After letting it run for about an hour. With no idea how to turn it off. I backed out the bolt on the fuel pump. And it died. Did I mention it to John Deere in 1963 Tractor”. Not a lawn mower”. With the bucket and brush hog. Basically, I decided to take everything out and completely rewire it. And boom, it started. Craziest thing I've ever seen. And what I'm asking is, anybody know why that happened? And why it won't turn off? Before I go doing this again, any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Or advice? Thank you.Also there is 1 wire coming out of the transmission I have no idea where that goes.
If it's a gas tractor, pull the choke to kill the engine, then unhook the battery. Sounds like you need to check the wiring with a service manual.

Last edited:
The only thing that was connected to the battery was the positive and negative cables. No fuel. No starter. No generator. All the wires were disconnected. Everything even voltmeter And it started by itself.
No fuel, no starter? My question is how could it have possibly started by itself without a starter and fuel? All wires were disconnected.....umm, what were the battery cables hooked to besides the battery? Or am I missing something?

Welcome to the forums.

We may have some terminology issues here. Unless you pull started it, it is very hard to believe the engine turned over without a starter. Perhaps you meant no wires to the starter? Even that doesn't work as a starter needs something to power it, most used electricity from the battery.

People here will help you but you are also going to have to help yourself and folks here, we can't see it. One needs to know what tractor it is to start with.

Please take and post a number of pictures of this tractor. The entire tractor from 4 sides (close but not too close; get far enough back that the tractor just fills the picture frame). Get pictures of the engine, both sides, the dash, and shift levers and pedals.

What Janicholson said. Years ago, I was in a training class on electronics, and the instructor said MFGs were experimenting with building engines with no starter. The ECM would detect which cylinder was ready to fire next in order, and, when you pressed start, the ECM would inject fuel and spark that cylinder, and then follow the firing order and it would start. Mark.

just yank out the coil wire easiest and simple to kill a gas engine. on diesel you plug the intake to kill them. no idea on what model u have though, maybe a 3010 ? we get lots of " no start "posts and this has to be the first self start . lol.

Welcome to the forums.

We may have some terminology issues here. Unless you pull started it, it is very hard to believe the engine turned over without a starter. Perhaps you meant no wires to the starter? Even that doesn't work as a starter needs something to power it, most used electricity from the battery.

People here will help you but you are also going to have to help yourself and folks here, we can't see it. One needs to know what tractor it is to start with.

Please take and post a number of pictures of this tractor. The entire tractor from 4 sides (close but not too close; get far enough back that the tractor just fills the picture frame). Get pictures of the engine, both sides, the dash, and shift levers and pedals.

only wires to the battery starter and ground but that was it. nothing else.
This helps some. If the cable from the battery to the starter solenoid was hooked up and the battery ground cable was hooked up the solenoid could be at fault ("hung up internally so it is in position to make the starter crank the engine). That alone would not explain the engine actually running. Other wires would be needed to make that happen. The gas engines had a resistor bypass wire. from the solenoid to the coil, that was energized when the starter was cranking if the starter solenoid stayed engaged that wire could keep the engine running.

Now we need to know if it is gas or diesel.

Do you have any manuals for it? If so, what are the titles and publishers. The John Deere service or technical manuals will have the wiring diagrams needed. On the right side of the transmission, a bit above the running board there should be a tag with the serial number of the tractor. Can you post a picture (with the info on it legible) of the tag.

Again, pictures of things might help.

My uncle's 2940 started up by itself one night while it was outside in the rain. I think the rain got into the starter relay and made contact. Of course the starter was junk after that.

If it has an alternator, and the alternator is a 3 wire Delco, the ignition can be operated by backfeed to the coil. (assumes gasoline or LPG.) if there is a charge in the cylinder and voltage is applied then disconnected from the coil, the coil can spark causing it to start. it happened to my uncles tractor (different story). Jim

Thank you ,
That sounds like a possability because I tried to jump it before I put a new battery in it.
Really appreciate your help

My uncle's 2940 started up by itself one night while it was outside in the rain. I think the rain got into the starter relay and made contact. Of course the starter was junk after that.
Thank you for your reply, Its a John Deere 300 1963 and I dont have a manual for it. It has a brush hog on the back
and a bucket in front. Its big and yellow.lol
I wired up the ignition today it on the charger. Guess I will see if that works. Do you know if the fuel solenoid in bad would that keep feeding fuel to it. Its fuel injected. 3 injectors I believe. Thank you in advance.

Thank you for your reply, Its a John Deere 300 1963 and I dont have a manual for it. It has a brush hog on the back
and a bucket in front. Its big and yellow.lol
I wired up the ignition today it on the charger. Guess I will see if that works. Do you know if the fuel solenoid in bad would that keep feeding fuel to it. Its fuel injected. 3 injectors I believe. Thank you in advance.
I can spell I just cant type..

No fuel, no starter? My question is how could it have possibly started by itself without a starter and fuel? All wires were disconnected.....umm, what were the battery cables hooked to besides the battery? Or am I missing something?
Battery cables were hooked up, but ignition was out ,wire to fuel was disconnected, alt, starter solenoid were all disconnected..

Thank you I will do that, first thing in the A.M have class right now. I did manage to wire up the ignition today. Hopefully it is correct. Its a1963 JD 300 fuel injected diesel. Do you know If the fuel solenoid is bad would that keep feeding fuel to the motor? Thank you for your time have a nice day.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back