my wood stove is looking better all time

37 chief

Our gas company, San Diego Gas and Electric, is doubling the price of Natural Gas. I was thinking of installing a gas heater, but looks like I will be packing in wood as long as I'm able. Probably getting close to propane cost? If that is happening out on the west coast, it ust be happening elsewhere. Stan

I just called and told my propane supplier to fill my tank when they are out here in the sticks.
I own my 330 gallon tank and my price is 2.85/gal.
Has not increased in 6 months.
And I think that is way too high.
We heat mostly with wood and hope to for many years.
I am only 70.LOL
Richard in NW SC

the farm house is fuel oil. about 6-8 weeks ago it was 6.10/gal. a couple weeks later it was about 5.10/gal I filled 2 weeks ago for 3.93/gal with tax. unfortunately the -5F temperatures consumed about 1/2 of that oil within a week ($250). at about $4.50ish/gal it is break even heating with electric (our electric is about $0.14/kwh here) unfortunately i cannot leave (trust) the electric heaters to leave them on when not there so save fuel oil.

want to put a heat pump in but am avoiding spending the $ right now. do need to insulate more. direct bang for the $ doing that.

the farm house is fuel oil. about 6-8 weeks ago it was 6.10/gal. a couple weeks later it was about 5.10/gal I filled 2 weeks ago for 3.93/gal with tax. unfortunately the -5F temperatures consumed about 1/2 of that oil within a week ($250). at about $4.50ish/gal it is break even heating with electric (our electric is about $0.14/kwh here) unfortunately i cannot leave (trust) the electric heaters to leave them on when not there so save fuel oil.

want to put a heat pump in but am avoiding spending the $ right now. do need to insulate more. direct bang for the $ doing that.

thought about putting in a used pellet stove and crank it up when we're there. no good chimney for us to put wood stove in with.

(quoted from post at 11:09:18 01/05/23) the farm house is fuel oil. about 6-8 weeks ago it was 6.10/gal. a couple weeks later it was about 5.10/gal I filled 2 weeks ago for 3.93/gal with tax. unfortunately the -5F temperatures consumed about 1/2 of that oil within a week ($250). at about $4.50ish/gal it is break even heating with electric (our electric is about $0.14/kwh here) unfortunately i cannot leave (trust) the electric heaters to leave them on when not there so save fuel oil.

eat pump won't do any good at -5F

(quoted from post at 11:44:59 01/05/23) quote

Most heat pump units still provide heat when their efficiency gets below a certain point.
hat is aux /emergency resistance heat. Compressor is off at that time.

There is not a great source for firewood where I live. I keep looking for trees being cut up along the road. Sometimes the tree cutters leave it piled
up for others to take. In 40 years I have never had to buy firewood. I have a friend who has some oak trees on his property, and said I can have some of the wood, that will be for next year. Stan

Hmm That seems odd at this point. Spot price of NG is 1/2 what it was a few months ago. But maybe their contract is just now catching up with last years spikes.

I had a heat pump with electric back up put in 2 years ago. In
the two years it has froze up 4 times and 4 times they puts new
part on it and said it was fix. When the temperature went to 17
below the heat pump was down and the electric back up ran 5 day
with out shutting off. House got down to 58 degrees. To say the
lest I'm not a happy camper.

Around here firewood is high. I see pickups on the roadside wanting $125 or so per load. Thats about level with the sides. Propane is usually $2.50 to $3.25 per gallon.

Could some of the increase be to pay for repair and replacement of aging electric power lines and gas pipelines? A while back some older power lines were being blamed for starting some of the very large fires. Sooner or later all infrastructure needs maintenance, repairs and replacement.

We had had 2 wood stoves going for several days during Christmas, and feel blessed that we were warm while many in NC suffered for hours at times from rolling blackouts. Any technology is only good if it works as it should. Having the ability to go back to the future can be a good thing.

I've been buying some of my wood for the last 2 years, but mostly due to time constraints. We burn 12-15 cord a year so it's a substantial project for me at 75.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back