Need computer help

37chief

Tractor related, without my computer I can't talk about tractors. My cooling fan isn't working. after a short time my computer goes nuts, until it cools. I checked my fan it turns fine, not froze Do the cooling fans go out often? Can I just buy one and install it, with out some special programing? I do tractors , not computers. Stan

Axial-flow fans that are most commonly found in computers can go bad and still spin freely.
You said it spins free. So I will assume that it is clean. Dust and cobwebs can build up enough to keep them from spinning.
They are common, cheap and can be gotten at many places. You just need to measure the one you have and match it and the plug up to your system. They are easy to change. Most just screw into the fins on the heatsink. I have never had to use any type of programming to replace one.

I assume this is a desktop (or tower) computer. It probably has more than one fan, but the most important fan is the one that is mounted on the CPU. Yes, it can fail but they're pretty reliable. The speed of your CPU fan is usually controlled by the motherboard, so it's possible the motherboard's fan driver has failed. Try replacing the fan first, but you may need a new motherboard. The fan will be specific for your CPU and is likely integral with a heat sink. There's some conductive paste that goes between the heat sink and CPU; if the replacement fan doesn't include it you can buy more at any computer store.

Here's an example of a CPU fan:
Intel i7 heat sink and fan

I assume this is a desktop (or tower) computer. It probably has more than one fan, but the most important fan is the one that is mounted on the CPU. Yes, it can fail but they're pretty reliable. The speed of your CPU fan is usually controlled by the motherboard, so it's possible the motherboard's fan driver has failed. Try replacing the fan first, but you may need a new motherboard. The fan will be specific for your CPU and is likely integral with a heat sink. There's some conductive paste that goes between the heat sink and CPU; if the replacement fan doesn't include it you can buy more at any computer store.

Here's an example of a CPU fan:
Intel i7 heat sink and fan
I will point out that a fan does not necessarily need to be powered by the motherboard driver. With a failure of that driver, the fan can be alternatively powered from the other parts of the power supply or from other taps on the motherboard.

I'll also point out that the fan on the CPU is not the only or even most important fan in the system. Equally important is the fan in the power supply - which also tends to fail more frequently then the CPU fan. BTDT.

I will point out that a fan does not necessarily need to be powered by the motherboard driver. With a failure of that driver, the fan can be alternatively powered from the other parts of the power supply or from other taps on the motherboard.

I'll also point out that the fan on the CPU is not the only or even most important fan in the system. Equally important is the fan in the power supply - which also tends to fail more frequently then the CPU fan. BTDT.
If the battery on the mother board is dead or weak it does sometimes weird reactions. Last time i had low battery the fan was speeding
for no reason. If the clock in your computer is no longer accurate it may be the battery problem.

HTH

Joe

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back