Need part for brake lathe.

jimg.allentown

I have an old (probably as old as most of us on this board) Hoffmann brake lathe. It has the capability to do rotors on one side and drums on the other. Here is the problem. In the course of moving into the house we bought 5 years ago, the nut that holds the drum and adapters disappeared. Part of the problem was that due to the weight of the machine, it was not practical to try and transport it completely assembled - just too doggone heavy to handle. Anyways, that nut is something like a 1"-8 LEFT hand thread. These seem to be difficult to determine if they will fit or not - my guesses on thread size and pitch are just that - guesses. As I recall, it was about 2 inches long with a counterbore at one end.

Any chance anyone here has something off an old drum lathe that they scraped and just threw the hardware into a "catch all" box? Or even have one that is no longer in use? Or, even know where I can buy one that will hopefully fit?

2 inches long?
I have an old (probably as old as most of us on this board) Hoffmann brake lathe. It has the capability to do rotors on one side and drums on the other. Here is the problem. In the course of moving into the house we bought 5 years ago, the nut that holds the drum and adapters disappeared. Part of the problem was that due to the weight of the machine, it was not practical to try and transport it completely assembled - just too doggone heavy to handle. Anyways, that nut is something like a 1"-8 LEFT hand thread. These seem to be difficult to determine if they will fit or not - my guesses on thread size and pitch are just that - guesses. As I recall, it was about 2 inches long with a counterbore at one end.

Any chance anyone here has something off an old drum lathe that they scraped and just threw the hardware into a "catch all" box? Or even have one that is no longer in use? Or, even know where I can buy one that will hopefully fit?
What model is it? Some place like this might have it.

Not sure what your budget might be for something like this, but you can buy the tap for $40 if it's 1"-8 LH.

A simple thread gauge should determine the teeth-per-inch (pitch). ....Male threads are made to size, so measure the shaft at the major diameter of the thread.

I guess that would be a last resort. Then I would need the hex stock and an engine lathe to fabricate one myself.
Maybe it is a glorified/altered coupling nut like this 1"-8tpi left hand thread.

That part is OK. I need the nut that goes on it to hold the drum and adapters in place.
Perhaps you could give that place a phone call. At many places not everything they have or can get is shown on their websites.

Here is a link to another place that might have something. I have had good service from them when I have needed parts for older fuel tank pumps. A phone call might be best.

SVI International

Be sure it is conventional threads, there are buttress threads and acme threads that are common on machine arbors. Jim

I will check and see if I have an extra one.

I know the nut is about 3" long. Have threads that only go about half way through the nut on one end and is smooth on the other. That's so it can be reversed and act as a spacer when reversed to keep from running out of threads on the spindle.

I never see a Hoffmann does it look like a Bear machine.

I will check and see if I have an extra one.

I know the nut is about 3" long. Have threads that only go about half way through the nut on one end and is smooth on the other. That's so it can be reversed and act as a spacer when reversed to keep from running out of threads on the spindle.
That sounds just like the one I need. I'll try to get the model number a bit later. Right now, I'm a bit under the weather with the forbidden illness.

I googled Hoffmann & it appears Snap On bought them out. Here's their contact info
Arkansas
Snap-on Equipment
309 Exchange Ave.
Conway, AR 72032
Tel.: +1 501-450-1500
Fax: +1 501-450-2085 HTH.

My old Delta wood lathe has a similar fitting on the outside end of the headstock. The inside chuck end is 1x8TPI RH, and the one on the outside is the same, except LH. There's all kinds of these parts on cVay. Might work if you can't find OEM. Steve

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back