Need tires for my F 150

37chief

. Anyone know what the load index of 110 is? the tire I am looking at, is rated for 2,337 lbs, How close is that to a rating of D, or E rating? If my 96 Dodge 3500 ever has a problem I would like to use the ford to pull my trailer, and tractor. If the tractor is on the trailer correct, most of the weight should be on the trailer tires. Any thoughts? Stan

Load index is how much weight the tire will carry.
A truck with load index 110 tires can weigh a gross total weight of 9348 lbs (2337x4) if the weight is distributed evenly over all 4 tires.
If you see a load index such as 110/100
This means the tire has a load index of 110 (2337 lbs) in a single application and a load index of 100 (1764 lbs) in a dual application.
Knowing your GVWR and your rear axle WR will help you determine what load index tires you need.

D and E rating is how many ply the tire is or really how many ply the tire would have had using the old ratings.
D is 8 ply and E is 10 ply and really has more to do with the air pressure used in the tire than anything.
A modern truck tire may only have 3 or 4 ply and still have a D or E rating because modern ply tires have thicker and more reinforced plies than the older tires. So basically a D rated tire is equivalent to an 8 ply tire of years past even though it does not have 8 plies.

You can find 10 ply E tires with a lower load index than some 8 ply D tires so you can not use the ply rating to determine the load index or weight rating.

. Anyone know what the load index of 110 is? the tire I am looking at, is rated for 2,337 lbs, How close is that to a rating of D, or E rating? If my 96 Dodge 3500 ever has a problem I would like to use the ford to pull my trailer, and tractor. If the tractor is on the trailer correct, most of the weight should be on the trailer tires. Any thoughts? Stan
What size and rated tires do you have now?

What does the door sticker on your F150 call for? The F150 could have a number of options.

Funny how we are still comparing 40+ year old specs to "modern" specs, most brands don't publish those old comparison ratings anymore, mostly on specific sizes, specialty or trailer tires-maybe. Anyway, a 110 load index is a passenger car tire, this would be load range B, 4 ply for bias. Sometimes there's an XL rating between the P and LT tires, these are basically an extra load rating for a 4 ply tire before they jump up to 6 ply rating. You may find load ratings above and below the 110. Above 110 you might see an "XL" rating, and the 'LT". LT should have a multi load rating ( 114/110 ) for single/dual tire configuration.

Funny how we are still comparing 40+ year old specs to "modern" specs, most brands don't publish those old comparison ratings anymore, mostly on specific sizes, specialty or trailer tires-maybe. Anyway, a 110 load index is a passenger car tire, this would be load range B, 4 ply for bias. Sometimes there's an XL rating between the P and LT tires, these are basically an extra load rating for a 4 ply tire before they jump up to 6 ply rating. You may find load ratings above and below the 110. Above 110 you might see an "XL" rating, and the 'LT". LT should have a multi load rating ( 114/110 ) for single/dual tire configuration.
They're still printing those 40+ year old specs on the tires.

Every LT tire that rolls out of the factory has a "ply rating" number, a "load rating" letter and the new "load index" number on it.

PLUS all tires have their weight rating in pounds and kilograms printed right on the tire, so there's no need to even understand what the codes mean.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back