New Forums again

YTSupport

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to open yet another thread on the new forums. I have more confidence in what we are going to be providing now so would like to let you know. To some, this is a repeat of what I've told you.

1. There will be a classic view. We've finished (but not fully tested) what I'm calling instead, a threaded view (this time, it's not a different in age of the software, just how threads are to be displayed). There is a difference in the new threaded view in that classic view shows who is replying to who, with a list of subjects and usernames. There isn't such a screen in the new software, but better than that, when you view a thread, we've changed it to show who is replying to who as you read the thread. The order of the posts is the same as the classic view I've mentioned and each post is indented under the person being replied to. So it's different, but the same concept and answers the complaint about modern forum software that you can't make heads or tails of who's talking to who.

2. Leroy and a couple of others said they did not want to see the frills of a modern forum. We've been successful at partially doing this. I can't remove all of the embellishments for technical reasons, but I was able to create options that allow a user to turn off having to look at the "frills". Avatars and quotes can be hidden. What I could not remove, that was specifically requested, are smilie faces and signatures. While this would have been technically possible, it could have taken me some months to figure out how to do this without damaging the new software's functionality. But in the end result, you can optionally trim down the display using the hide options.

3. Usernames/passwords work as is! My concern that you might have to reset your password to get into the new system is over. There are slim possibilities that a few extremely complex user names may not work having weird sets of characters in them. I've not seen the few folk who had such usernames post in years. If you know your username and password, you will simply be able to login.

Implementation is still planned for the end of December, but we still may be able to move sooner if we can find a very slow day. On the cutover day, the forums will be down for about 2 hours as I move the data over one last time, and Kim makes some last minute changes. The best slow days will be between Christmas and New Years (historically this has been the case). Between now and then, we'll have a team testing and looking for bugs (this is waiting on a network change), then correcting what we can.

After we implement, it will be up to you to tailor how you want to view the forums. If you want the threaded view, or want to hide "frills", after you login, you'll have to set the options for these in your preferences. From then on, you'll see the view and options you chose until you change them back. When we are close to the cutover, I'll put out a message with details and screenshots on how you do it. It's very easy.

I have one question.

Right now I use classic view.
As long as everyone responding uses classic view everything looks good.
Like you said anyone responding to my response gets put under my response so I know they are
talking to me. Anyone responding to the main topic gets put under the main topic post.
Life is good.

Then we have one guy using modern view that responds to a response I made.
His response gets put under the main topic with the words
'Quoting Removed, click Modern View to see'
I have no idea if he is responding to me or the main topic because I can not see the quote.
I then have to switch over to modern view to see the quote.

So are you saying that the new system will show a classic view order (If I choose to use classic
view) no matter what view the other poster used. Or will we still have this problem where the
classic view and modern view fight each other.

Thanks for the many hours you are putting in to keep us stubborn classic view people that resist
change happy.

John,

This is the issue we wanted to address directly with how we implemented the new Threaded View.

People not using the threaded view, will still have to click the reply button on the post they are responding to, because if they don't, there is no quote provided and the post is actually posting to the original poster who started the thread. This is the normal operation of all forums now and if that person didn't click a reply button, they are really just answering the thread. The way I originally implemented modern view, it was supposed to do exactly this, but it broke years ago and underpinnings really couldn't be fixed. To be honest, it never worked well.

Short answer, yes, people using the default forum view will thread their replies into the correct order if they use a forum like all forums are meant to be used.

There will still be people who just type in a quick reply, not matter which way they view the forum. The results will confuse everyone regardless of the view they are using. Then exactly what you see on Classic right now will happen, it even happens on classic right now since people can press reply, or they can go to the posting form on the bottom with referencing who they are replying to. This is possible with any forum software and you have to read between the lines to guess who the person is talking to. This is why quote blocks were invented and the parallel method of the threaded view. I've got them working together the best possible this time, but it won't fix inappropriate use of the posting form.

The only thing I could do further, is completely remove the posting form at the bottom of the page (we probably should have done this years back on classic for the same reason). May still be an option down the road though we've not discussed it. This forces users to reply to either the OP, or reply to one of the sub-thread posts.

Most times when I post on a thread, I am not responding to a specific individual, but rather just adding my two cent's worth to the discussion. The other forums I belong to have a generic reply box at the bottom of each thread. You just type your reply there, and it's added to the others in sequence. My experience has been that 95% of responses in a thread are to the most recent post anyway, so it's really not a problem. And to reply to a specific post, you simply use the quote feature. It just amazes me that some people seem to have so much difficulty grasping that concept! It's not that hard!

Both classic and the new forums (both views) have that "quick reply" box at the bottom and it is inferred that that means replying to the thread. Modern view never had for some reason.

(quoted from post at 15:03:54 12/11/23)
Most times when I post on a thread, I am not responding to a specific individual, but rather just adding my two cent's worth to the discussion. The other forums I belong to have a generic reply box at the bottom of each thread. You just type your reply there, and it's added to the others in sequence. My experience has been that 95% of responses in a thread are to the most recent post anyway, so it's really not a problem. And to reply to a specific post, you simply use the quote feature. It just amazes me that some people seem to have so much difficulty grasping that concept! It's not that hard!

Exactly. Simple as dirt.

Please post a screenshot of this quick reply box at bottom of a page you speak of

The test forum has a box at bottom but that just starts another thread.

There is none on the current modern view and I just realized we no longer have had that in classic for many years since we put in a different thread viewing page.

The new software does have this sort of quick reply posting window at the bottom of every thread.

It looks like this:

mvphoto112364.png

So if you click on the reply button on anyone else's post, it puts the threading quote right in this box and then it will target that post it's replying to, but you can just type in a reply to the thread too by not clicking on any reply.

The possibilities are just like in modern view as I'm replying to you here but really replying to the thread because I didn't quote you. There will be those who do that and their response will not thread in where it should, but most people will figure out pretty quickly that if they want to target their reply, they will have to press the reply button on the post they are replying to.

The difference is that classic view (and modern for that matter) force you to click on a reply button to respond at all. The new software doesn't so people will probably tend to just type in the text in the box and hit post. Maybe I should put a message by the box that says something like "Click Reply on the post you want to respond to.".

chris, my thumbnail i click on to come here now looks different. how the heck am i supposed to know where i am now?

fun is fun, but i'd appreciate it if you'd put everything back to the way it was:thankyou:🤪

chris, my thumbnail i click on to come here now looks different. how the heck am i supposed to know where i am now?

fun is fun, but i'd appreciate it if you'd put everything back to the way it was:thankyou:🤪
Do you mean a desktop or browser bookmark icon to get here? The link might not be directly to the forums. If it points to something in the URL aside from the servers name, it will force network software between you and the server to get rewritten (it's to make sure old bookmarks still work, but they may not work as expected) and I'm not sure what that would look like. Also, if it's going to www.yesterdaystractors.com/something, that gets rewritten over on the home page server. That may also make it not look like expectations.

If you type in https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com, then create a new bookmark from the result, that might give you what you are expecting (though I'm not totally sure, if you aren't talking about a bookmark, then my response is out in left field).

Putting everything back is a bigger job than getting it here ;).

Do you mean a desktop or browser bookmark icon to get here? The link might not be directly to the forums. If it points to something in the URL aside from the servers name, it will force network software between you and the server to get rewritten (it's to make sure old bookmarks still work, but they may not work as expected) and I'm not sure what that would look like. Also, if it's going to www.yesterdaystractors.com/something, that gets rewritten over on the home page server. That may also make it not look like expectations.

If you type in https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com, then create a new bookmark from the result, that might give you what you are expecting (though I'm not totally sure, if you aren't talking about a bookmark, then my response is out in left field).

Putting everything back is a bigger job than getting it here ;).
browser "speed dial" - it's an oversized thumbnail. i've already adjusted the URL.

that post was 100% satirical, btw ;)

Is your thumbnail now the ASAP logo? Mine changed to that instead of the YT logo a while back.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back