New Idea Corn Picker NO.7 or NO.10 ??

Juszczak

New User
Hello !
To make a long story short - I accidently bought a corn picker at a local auction last fall. i ended up paying $150 for it, and it sure seems like it works alright. So, being a owner of a corn picker, i planted 7 acers of corn this spring, bought a crib, a burr mill, and a wagon, and now I'm getting ready to put it to the test.

I really like having manuals for everything I own, and I cant find a data plate on this thing to save my life. Looking at google images, I cant tell if its a NO 7 of a NO 10. I also have no idea what the difference is, and as a first time picker owner, I'd really like to be to read the book and figure out how to run the darn thing.

Thanks in advance for any help
cvphoto165261.jpg

cvphoto165262.jpg

cvphoto165263.jpg

cvphoto165264.jpg

I have a #7 and I'm pretty sure yours is also. I also have a #10 that came with it for parts. If I remember correctly it had a different PTO shaft and rubber tubing going from the grease fittings to the husking roll bearings. Don't recall what else was different but they are similar models when it comes to parts.

My 323 has a serial number on the gearbox where the driveshaft connects to the picker. Maybe that does too which would tell you the model. My guess would be a No 7, its not 323. We had one just like your picture in the fifties but I never knew what model it was.

You accidentally bought a picker- you didn't keep your hands in your pockets? LOL! That reminds me of what a friend said years ago in a similar situation. He said it was what he really wanted but didn't know it til he had it. You'll probably have hours of fun with the picker- if it doesn't leave too much shelled corn on the ground.

You said, I'd really like to be to read the book and figure out how to run the darn thing.
I would suggest you grease every zerk, hitch to your favorite tractor, hook up the pto, hook up the wagon/gravity bed, drop the big lever to about the middle slot, line it up on the first row and start pickin' ;-) Really, that's about all there is to it. Expect to go slow the first time until you get a feel for how it's working. That may require lower than 540 PTO speed and a low gear. If it goes well bump up one gear and see if it's able to handle it. If all is well set 540 PTO and enjoy! That's how I picked corn with my PR-1 when I first got it, no manual. And that was after many years of picking with an old Oliver #5. A manual is nice for details and some adjustments but NOT required. I hope it works out for you!

Here are a couple pictures of my no. 7. The PTO on this one is not original. It does have a wood bottom in the elevator. If I remember correctly, the serial no. plate is on the left side of the frame somewhere near the left wheel. The serial no. on this one indicates it is a 1950 model.

mvphoto111113.jpg

mvphoto111114.jpg

That high number of zerks is what kept Dad from buying a new one and he Bought an Oliver No. 5 instead. Replaced the GI picker.

We had a 6A model, which is a 2 row version of that era picker. Dad took a bunch of gears and such off and hung them on the wall, the rest went to scrap as we moved up to a NI 300.

Paul

I had Wood Bros, couple actually 3 Olivers and2 Deere mounted pickers and do not remember any of them leaving shelled corn on the ground.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back