NWMO 901 SOS

Hey friends,

Long time no post. My ol’ 971 has needed wheels/tires forever, so I finally bit the bullet. I’ll spray everything down after I pull my pie weights off and let sit for a while. Any pointers? I’ve never swapped centers before, so we’ll see how it goes.

These are a few years old, as they were from a project that Dave Hobbs was working on before he passed away (I didn’t know he’d passed until I called Colfax to see what they had.) At any rate, new spin-out rims and Firestone 13.6 x 28 tires for $1,000/each. I had visited Dave once in the past and sold him a front box with pillow weights another time, a heck of a nice guy.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_5110.jpeg
    IMG_5110.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5111.jpeg
    IMG_5111.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
Get new nuts and bolts. Cut the old ones off and drive them out. I repaired and painted a pair two years ago. I seem to remember setting the center on a 5 gal bucket and turning the wheel down onto it while I held most of the weight of the rim to minimize paint damage.

Get new nuts and bolts. Cut the old ones off and drive them out. I repaired and painted a pair two years ago. I seem to remember setting the center on a 5 gal bucket and turning the wheel down onto it while I held most of the weight of the rim to minimize paint damage.
Thanks showcrop! I was wondering if it would be easier to spin the center into the new wheel? Can I damage anything fighting the old nuts? I know you’ve done some of these, I’ll have my little cut-off saw handy with blades and batteries.

Chris

Thanks showcrop! I was wondering if it would be easier to spin the center into the new wheel? Can I damage anything fighting the old nuts? I know you’ve done some of these, I’ll have my little cut-off saw handy with blades and batteries.

Chris
I commented earlier based on loop wheels, duh! You obviously can't cut bolts with PA rims. I had to study a bit to get the clamps into the right positions. If they are not you can break them when tightening down.

I second the new nuts. I tried to reuse the old ones but I stripped them out immediately. I placed the wheel on the ground and spun the hub in from the top. The paint around the edge of the hub did get scraped off along with some paint in the channels but the tire shop also left a few marks in the new paint from the mounting of the tires. It saves me from making the first scratches in the new paint but, they still look pretty good for a 66 year old tractor.

When you get to threading the center disc into your spin out rim, I found success using a bar of soap to slick up the outer edges of the disc.

Sorry to hear about Dave Hobbs passing. He had some interesting projects. He had a Sherman Napco front assist project, and a true 4 wheel drive (all four wheels same size) "mudder" project.

Thanks fellas,

I’ll let you know how it goes, probably a couple of weeks yet. I’ve not been on the board in a bit, I’m sure we’ve lost some other valuable members in my absence. I know Larry (NCKS) passed quite a few years ago (he was my SOS go to), not sure about some of the other “big” guys:

sounDguy (Chris)
old (Rich, a fellow Missourian)
RodinNS (I always felt he was younger, should still be around)

I’m FB friends with Fordfarmer (Mark), so I see some of his tractoring/calving/maple syrup collection, etc.

And plenty of others, I’ve always appreciated this group, thanks again.

Chris

Thanks fellas,

I’ll let you know how it goes, probably a couple of weeks yet. I’ve not been on the board in a bit, I’m sure we’ve lost some other valuable members in my absence. I know Larry (NCKS) passed quite a few years ago (he was my SOS go to), not sure about some of the other “big” guys:

sounDguy (Chris)
old (Rich, a fellow Missourian)
RodinNS (I always felt he was younger, should still be around)

I’m FB friends with Fordfarmer (Mark), so I see some of his tractoring/calving/maple syrup collection, etc.

And plenty of others, I’ve always appreciated this group, thanks again.

Chris
I haven't seen a post from Chris in many years. Old was gone for awhile but he has been back and posting regularly for a couple of months. Rod posts once in a great while, I agree that he must be younger. I haven't seen any post about him selling the cattle off yet.

Oh how we lose track of time. I feel like a young buck here, but I just turned 65. I have learned a lot from the folks here with more experience than I have. I won't call them older, I will defer to them as more experienced.

Old is relative. I'm touching 68 and I thought Sean was ahead of me :) The problem with age and experience is the broken backs and messed up shoulders from pulling wrenches all those years. I'm not rebuilding them anymore since back surgery I can't lift very much and everything is heavy on the old tractors. I just play with them and keep the ones I have going.

Alan Harry (Awhtx) ?is/was? a super fella, I got to meet him for lunch years and years ago as he traveled through Missouri. I’m still a relative pup and greatly appreciate all the help from this board. souNdguy (Chris) would start and finish a quick restoration in the same time it took me to get a couple of little things done. I loved is single front tire tractor and he was a wealth of information.

Chris

Alan Harry (Awhtx) ?is/was? a super fella, I got to meet him for lunch years and years ago as he traveled through Missouri. I’m still a relative pup and greatly appreciate all the help from this board. souNdguy (Chris) would start and finish a quick restoration in the same time it took me to get a couple of little things done. I loved is single front tire tractor and he was a wealth of information.

Chris
If I remember right, Ultradog keeps in contact with AWHTX to some degree. I believe he's had some health issues.
I used to have an email address for Chris, but I can't find it right now.
Last time I talked with Rod, it was shortly after he'd gotten married, so his time has been... otherwise occupied.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back