New tractor without DEF as a selling point?

On mini excavators, 25 hp and above need a DPF. I had a 2006 Kubota mini that had a 27 hp engine. I traded it for it's successor excavator in 2019 and it had a 23 hp engine, no DPF, otherwise the engine is the same as the older excavator. A common size skidsteer had a 75 hp engine until the rules on DEF came out and said engines 75 hp and above needed DEF. Suddenly the 75hp skidsteers became 74hpDWF

The little ones like they say under 75 has been that way for awhile. The new thing I heard is the super big ones won’t and it seemed to me they were bending the rules by building it the size of a railroad locomotive to do it I am kinda assuming they just got above a horsepower requirement from the regulating body in charge of that. I’ll believe it when I see all of it disappear John Deere was supposedly close back in 2010 to not needing def when they were dpf only interim tier IV but who knows certainly they have had it 10 years now and still doesn’t get rid of the DPF. Poor urea in it or not doesn’t matter a bill of beans to me it’s still got the soot collecting 5000 dollar piece of garbage in there. I thought the next round of emissions was coming anyway

Reactions: IFF
After seeing the commercial about 20 more times, they finally showed the list of features.
IMG_0720.png

There are engine size limits, both under and over a certain hp that doesn’t need def.

You might be confusing dpf with def, as well. They have so many different systems and rules and acronyms. It’s hard to keep up.

I think they are working on tier 5 regulations now? So it will never be good enough, and it will never be complicated enough to satisfy the busy bodies.

I like cleaner air so some measures were a good idea, but I also like things that actually work. It seems the current mindset is to meet certain narrow minded goals without looking at the big picture. Doesn’t producing, packaging, using, and adding the power robbing items of def actually make more pollution than the very small amount of pollution it removes from the emissions? There should be some sense to it all for it to really be important…… it should actually improve things in the real world, big picture. Not just be busybody. Some common sense.

Paul
yep makes no sense very likely not only in the operation but also in the manufacturing of the extra components I"m sure it makes more pollution. the idea that coal makes more co2 than Nat gas is silly as well. takes x amount of carbon to produce x amounts of electric. yeah, some nat gas plants are a bit more efficient in BTUs in versus kWatts out but many are on par. both cases they have to "scrub" the exhaust so their really not putting out any particulates (if you can see smoke they are probably in violation)

By the looks of them they are/or less than 26 horse power which is the cut off for emissions regulations. Thats why all sub compact and compact tractors offer a 25 horse model. Dads 3025e is the same way 25 horse yanmar diesel with no emissions garbage.
Nate
25 hp is NOT the cut-off

What is the cutoff? I though under 26 hp no emisions beond an EGR was required. After that most companies use a DPF and regen. I dont remember the hp where most us DEF fluid.
Look at the posts above, 75 hp for most manufactures require no DEF (fixingfarmer & others)

Look at the posts above, 75 hp for most manufactures require no DEF (fixingfarmer & others)
Right for DEF at 75hp all the other emisions are used at lower hp including the DPF and EGR. Those look to be low hp tractors and probably have nothing more than an EGR valve. There is also an upper limit where all this emissions junk is not use take deeres new 9rx and ihs 715 quadtrac

What is the cutoff? I though under 26 hp no emisions beond an EGR was required. After that most companies use a DPF and regen. I dont remember the hp where most us DEF fluid.
At least a couple years ago it was 27 hp. My 2020 B2650 Kubota does not have emissions controls at all. I would have liked the B3350, but that had a DPF so I stuck with the smaller one.

It was a Mahindra commercial on my YouTube feed. There was a list of features but non-DEF was all that I saw cuz I didn’t pause it fast enough, and can’t backtrack the commercials to see it again.
How is a non-DEF engine legal in today’s technological climate? I thought it might be a weight thing , but there are John Deere fairway mowers with as little as 1.4 liter Yanmar power plants , equipped with DEF.
Do the tractors meet emissions limits or are they simply exempt from the limits?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back