Nice small Loader tractor for Round bales, 5x6 & Misc Farm Work

SamV

Group,

I am on the search for a nice smaller loader tractor Prefer 35-45Hp I would also like to use it to rake & tedder hay move wagons etc. Prefer 4wd because we are muddy here in western PA almost all the time! I am open to just about any brand I just want something that will start easily in the winter and serve the purpose. So you know I have a 68 JD 4020 for heavy work, a JD 5075 4wd for the mid stuff, but doesn't have a loader. Also I have 3 JD B's Presently I am, using my Skid Steer for moving round bales in the winter it is a Gehl RT175. I need a loader so that I can get them and put them in a feeder wagon so I cannot just use a 3pt bale spear. Suggestions?

OK, lets get the dumb (obvious ) question out of the way first.......why is getting a loader for your 5075 not an option? I would think that would be close to a perfect fit for your application, especially 5x6 rolls which could be a little more than most 35-45 hp may want to handle. Although 35-45 hp would be a nice machine to have around for raking, tedding, and moving wagons. All that said, simply because you have a whole line up of green machines now, I would focus on Deere if you have to get another tractor.

Shaler, I have thought of that, A loader on that tractor would be nice. I guess I will have to price that out.

You're not going to be loading 5x6 bales in a feeder wagon with a loader on a 45 hp tractor. No comfortably at least, it's just too much weight too far out in front of the tractor. After the bales sit all winter, a tractor that size will struggle to carry one with a 3pt spear. I've done it often with my old 3000, and I have to steer with the brakes because the front tires barely touch the ground. You're skid steer is the best tool for that job.

Yea, I would want something bigger. New or used. If newer, I would also look at the late model Masseys or New Hollands. Kubota would be good but would need even more ballast on the back, built pretty light. If older, I would look at an industrial tractor with factory loader. Purpose built for a loader instead of farm tractor with added loader. I like the old Case and JD industrial models. MF made some good ones too but not a lot of the older ones were not 4x4....James

You're not going to be loading 5x6 bales in a feeder wagon with a loader on a 45 hp tractor. No comfortably at least, it's just too much weight too far out in front of the tractor. After the bales sit all winter, a tractor that size will struggle to carry one with a 3pt spear. I've done it often with my old 3000, and I have to steer with the brakes because the front tires barely touch the ground. You're skid steer is the best tool for that job.
Comes down to can you or should you.

I think the loader on his 5075 depends whether it's 5075E or a 5075M. Look at the data, with the E series you would need a bale on the 3 pt to hold it down, if its an M, it's a whole different story. The E is listed as 4600-5500#, the M is 6000-7800#, plus the M wheelbase is about 6" longer

So I talked to the Deere Dealer and approx cost for the loader and Installation for the 5075 is about 15K. Something to think about.

You can obviously do better than $15K with a good used model, but nevertheless sounds like you have your answer unless you really really want another tractor. Your desire "a nice smaller loader tractor 35-45 hp" with 4WD. Thats a popular market segment and the best you will be able in the western PA area would be about the same price as the new loader. BUT of course you will not have all the maint and repair costs with a loader as you would with another tractor.

Shaler, Group,

Made a decision to go the route of just putting a loader on the 5075. I am working with a dealer and they are considerably less than the original 15K I got quoted.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back