NO wonder I got it cheap

nashranch

1963 Ford 4000 SOS Diesel

$350 was a bargain I just couldn't pass up. It runs great but had a leaky rear tube(fixed with new tube) plus per steering problems(fixed that yesterday with new bearings and seals in steering column). Today was running to check out PS and backed it out of shop to fill radiator with garden hose. Noticed nasty milky oil and water rushing out from pushrod cover. Hoping for blown head gasket. Tearing it down now to pull the head. So much for a bargain deal.
mvphoto108677.jpg

mvphoto108678.jpg

This post was edited by nashranch on 08/18/2023 at 01:18 pm.

No problem! You bought it for something to do which is why I buy the old beaters, it gives me something to tinker with. It is possible that it could be a severe case of condensation. I had a 961 that spewed lots of milk for a long time until it finally burned it all out from use.

(quoted from post at 13:46:37 08/18/23) No problem! You bought it for something to do which is why I buy the old beaters, it gives me something to tinker with. It is possible that it could be a severe case of condensation. I had a 961 that spewed lots of milk for a long time until it finally burned it all out from use.

I saw straight water coming out. It was coming out of the pushrod cover and off course it gotta into the oil. How could something do nasty run as good as it did? Fuel tank off and rocker arm cover is off.. noticing its time for a valve adjustment
mvphoto108680.jpg

mvphoto108681.jpg

Very fun retirement hobby Tom

Wow I've never seen one that bad. Can't believe it ran! Hope the bearings survived all that water mess.

Looks like its time for a pressure test to nail where the leaks at. It only takes 1/2 of a bearing shell to make a large issue I would check them all (after I knew where the leak was coming from).

Its probably safe to say the rods and mains should be
swapped out if your going to check them anyway I doubt they
are that expensive but my Ford knowledge is limited. Who
knows if this was doing this awhile and he changed the oil a
couple times to get by. Would make me sleep better after
running it all day. Still could be the deal of the year at 350
bucks for a runner! With any luck leaking visibly up top its just
the head gasket so if the head pressure checks good away
you go!

I did clean up the pan last nite. I figured out why is wasn't draining. The pan has been dented in on the bottom so bad the oil pump screen was right at the drain plug opening.
mvphoto108691.jpg

Please keep posting what you find. I like the diesels. I have a 63 4000 diesel row crop.
Ron

mvphoto108727.jpg

This head is really stuck bad. .... cherry picker and a scissor jack won't break it loose... what now...I did get all the head bolts out

(quoted from post at 20:10:48 08/19/23) I think you will need to pull the injectors there are bolts under them.

Yep I figured that out finally.. don't I feel stupid.. anyway learning experience. Got it off and in the solvent tank.. I'm seeing three cracks
mvphoto108774.jpg

mvphoto108775.jpg

I have a diesel head on a core engine, I bought from scrap yard. they broke crank and remove it in hopes for finding another crakshaft. lost all the main caps.
anyway if you want the head your than welcome to it. I will be in Portland Friday 8/25 and staying over nite, then Saturday I am going out to Arlen's to get breather for Ford 851 I bought from hum couple years ago. All you need to do is come up to Portland area and get it..FREE FREE

Head is still on engine, so let me know

(quoted from post at 22:33:06 08/19/23) I have a diesel head on a core engine, I bought from scrap yard. they broke crank and remove it in hopes for finding another crakshaft. lost all the main caps.
anyway if you want the head your than welcome to it. I will be in Portland Friday 8/25 and staying over nite, then Saturday I am going out to Arlen's to get breather for Ford 851 I bought from hum couple years ago. All you need to do is come up to Portland area and get it..FREE FREE

Head is still on engine, so let me know

Good deal Keith. Ya I will take it.. can you send me some detailed pics of the head? Email is [email protected] or text me pics to cell phone 541-228-5453

Oil filter was plugged tighter than a bull's a$$ in fly season. Think I got it all flushed out now. I do see oil/diesel mix flowing out of the hole where the upper oil goes up to the rockers. What a mess
mvphoto108800.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back