Oil garage door

I use white Lithium grease in an aerosol can . It is expensive though the can I have is now 25 years old , you don't need much .
Some advantages are very good lubrication, easy application , good adhesion so no drips , and importantly, no smudges on my wife's clothes.

Idk but just don't go crazy doing it. My dad in his old age decided to slather black moly lube grease up and down his tracks. Many of my moms jackets and sweaters were ruined if she brushed against it getting groceries from the trunk

What to use to lube garage door track and rollers?
DO NOT LUBE THE TRACK!!!!!!!
Lube on the track just collects dirt. Remember those things running in the track are ROLLERS, not SLIDERS. Keep the track & rim of the rollers clean.
For the rollers themselves, use your favorite spray lube into the bearing where the rollers turn on the shaft. Look closely, they have ball bearings in there.

I don't oil or grease them. The rollers should roll and not slide from dust collected by oil or grease. Besides, I do not want oil or grease dripping on my head or cars nor smeared on the side of my garage openings.

The only place the rollers actually apply any pressure on the track is on the top when the door is open.

1711144241069.png

I oil the bearings in the rollers, and if it's a torsion spring, it needs to be oilded a little too. I use Liquid wrench lubricating oil, I used to get it at Menards, not sure if they still have it. When I oil the torsion spring I wrap it with newspaper so it can't drip on the floor or door, and then open and close the door a few times. After a couple of days I take the newspaper off and wipe any excess oil off the spring.

I have not oiled mine in 25 years. I don't see how a grease would get into the bearings on the rollers and I don't want it on the track to get onto everything that touches it when moving by it. I would think an oil just applied to the rollers would be more good than applied to the track. I doubt much will get in them with them being a sealed bearing in the first place. Now the chain that drives for the opener I would just use a light bit of oil on it with a rag rubbing it as it travels by the middle of the travel such that it didn't get into the sprockets. Like a rag held close to the chain so the oil would be rubbed on it.

No oil or grease on the tracks, oil bearings, hinges and springs. Also check and tighten all screws for hinges, mounting and operators. It'll help keep the door happy and quiet.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back