Oil problems in the old model B

46chief

I have been working on this tractor and had planed to do a complete work over. The last time the tractor ran something in the crankcase ruptured and sprayed oil all over the rear of the pistons and cylinders so much that the piston rings could not wipe it back. It started smoking really bad and actually blew oil out the exhaust pipe. Looking down through the top of the engine I cannot see any reason for it but it has to be something. I had planned to re-ring the motor but I don't have the pistons out yet. Any ideas for how I can find out what blew would be appreciated.

I have been working on this tractor and had planed to do a complete work over. The last time the tractor ran something in the crankcase ruptured and sprayed oil all over the rear of the pistons and cylinders so much that the piston rings could not wipe it back. It started smoking really bad and actually blew oil out the exhaust pipe. Looking down through the top of the engine I cannot see any reason for it but it has to be something. I had planned to re-ring the motor but I don't have the pistons out yet. Any ideas for how I can find out what blew would be appreciated.
Pressurize the oiling system through the oil gauge port and look for internal leaks.

If you aren't set up to do that with oil, in this case, compressed air would work and show a massive leak in the oiling system plumbing (IF one exists).

Pressurize the oiling system through the oil gauge port and look for internal leaks.

If you aren't set up to do that with oil, in this case, compressed air would work and show a massive leak in the oiling system plumbing (IF one exists).
I appreciate the info and I had been wondering if I could do that or not. If that doesn't tell me anything I don't know how I will find it but it was a lot of oil.

If you're crankshaft end play is way out of spec one of the oil lines can wear through and get beat from crankshaft. Something I have seen.

I had loss of oil pressure and found a split in the oil line running out of the rh main bearing near the coupling . I agree with wore out and try to pressurize the system. I was able to see it better while I was replacing the block.

I appreciate the info and I had been wondering if I could do that or not. If that doesn't tell me anything I don't know how I will find it but it was a lot of oil.
A new (clean) pump-up weed sprayer is great for pressurizing a lube system.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back