Oliver 1555 originally intended for South Vietnam

I just saw an on-line auction flyer that has an Oliver 1555 standard tread, built for export to South Vietnam for rice paddy use but never delivered due to the situation in 1975, claiming to be factory painted silver and black with White emblems on it. I've read an article in Antique Power magazine in the past about these tractors but that article didn't indicate any were painted silver. Does anyone know anything more?

They were green and built as Olivers originally. When the deal fell through, they changed the spears to ones with Cockshutt decals. I believe the tag, emblem and steering wheel center were changed too, then they went to Canada and sold as green Cockshutts. I don't believe they had power steering.

They were green and built as Olivers originally. When the deal fell through, they changed the spears to ones with Cockshutt decals. I believe the tag, emblem and steering wheel center were changed too, then they went to Canada and sold as green Cockshutts. I don't believe they had power steering.
The one on the auction appears to have a WFE emblem on it which to my knowlege didn't appear until after White Motors went bankrupt and TIC bought the ag division. A fake? The auction is in Strawberry Point, IA by Joel’s Tractors & Auction, LLC. It is also featured on Machinery Pete.

1712521441410.png

Ya, that looks right. I found an old post that I made about them back in 2014. They were a 1555. I thought I had a picture of the one I asked about, but I can't find it. A collector in Ohio bought that one. Just shortly after that, there was an article in either Oliver Heritage or Hart Parr Oliver Collector.

Ya, that looks right. I found an old post that I made about them back in 2014. They were a 1555. I thought I had a picture of the one I asked about, but I can't find it. A collector in Ohio bought that one. Just shortly after that, there was an article in either Oliver Heritage or Hart Parr Oliver Collector.
After putting pictures up on EquipmentFacts, the claim of factory silver paint has been walked back and there is an admission of Oliver green showing through the silver and black.

There was some discussion on one of the Oliver Facebook pages that this tractor might have been held at the factory for a while as a yard tractor. It has several updates from the Vietnam tractors. A serial number search at the Floyd County Museum would clear up some of the questions.

There was some discussion on one of the Oliver Facebook pages that this tractor might have been held at the factory for a while as a yard tractor. It has several updates from the Vietnam tractors. A serial number search at the Floyd County Museum would clear up some of the questions.
Now that would make sense as to why it is how it is. So very well could be a unique machine with a story all its own.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back