Oliver 550 leaking transmission fluid on the PTO clutch.

I am restoring an older Oliver 550 Diesel and can't get the PTO shaft to stop leaking. New O-ring and bushing. It leaks about a cupful of transmission fluid a week. Not much but enough to get some on the PTO clutch plates. I've had the tractor split apart 3 times now and can't see anything out of the ordinary. I've been told that there are transmission oil additives designed to stop a slow leak. Anyone have experience with them?

Farmer Broome

I am restoring an older Oliver 550 Diesel and can't get the PTO shaft to stop leaking. New O-ring and bushing. It leaks about a cupful of transmission fluid a week. Not much but enough to get some on the PTO clutch plates. I've had the tractor split apart 3 times now and can't see anything out of the ordinary. I've been told that there are transmission oil additives designed to stop a slow leak. Anyone have experience with them?

Farmer Broome
Just a suggestion; study the back end of the shaft on the parts pages for a bearing that could be worn. If the back end is moving too much it will be too much for your front end bushing to do to keep it from wobbling inside your seal and wrecking it.

Update on the leaking PTO shaft. I drained the transmission today and pulled the shaft out through the rear housing. I'm missing the oil seal that fits on the shaft after the needle bearing assembly. This tractor has always leaked since I got it and I suspect that this is the problem as there was a large amount of oil caked on the clutch plates. The Oliver part number is 100 545-A. Can that seal be cross referenced to a generic seal that I could purchase here in Canada? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Farmer Broome

Update on the leaking PTO shaft. I drained the transmission today and pulled the shaft out through the rear housing. I'm missing the oil seal that fits on the shaft after the needle bearing assembly. This tractor has always leaked since I got it and I suspect that this is the problem as there was a large amount of oil caked on the clutch plates. The Oliver part number is 100 545-A. Can that seal be cross referenced to a generic seal that I could purchase here in Canada? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Farmer Broome
The online SKF interchange shows it crosses to a CR12336 used by Oliver and White farm equipment. And the Speedi-sleeve to go with it is 99125, if needed. A seal and bearing/ industrial supply house in your area should be able to cross it to what they carry, and a local parts store might be able to as well.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back