One for the corn crib guys

We just moved these and filled fall of 23
1000002996.jpg

Hello Alex, welcome to YT! What is the advantage of picked corn vs conventional field shelled corn? There must be some of you went to the effort to move these and set them up. Do you use it for feed, hogs? At the end of Dec. ‘23 this forum was transferred onto a new software platform. A fair number of members couldn’t swallow the change over and dropped out, Coonie minnie was one of them, I also see FastFarmall and gtractorfan who posted in this thread are also both on this list. They all were fairly active posters.

Last edited:
Here's a picture I took on a farm being transitioned to a county park in Dane County, WI today. There were 9 cribs, 10 foundations present. All appeared built to the same specs. I was asked as to age- I was thinking 1950's or 60's. Anyone else care to offer an opinion? All the cribs had full length tunnels for a dragline beneath.
cvphoto150710.jpg
Not had corn in them in 30 years but a good place to store fire wood

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240509_045801_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240509_045801_Gallery.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 43
Hello Alex, welcome to YT! What is the advantage of picked corn vs conventional field shelled corn? There must be some of you went to the effort to move these and set them up. Do you use it for feed, hogs? At the end of Dec. ‘23 this forum was transferred onto a new software platform. A fair number of members couldn’t swallow the change over and dropped out, Coonie minnie was one of them, I also see FastFarmall and gtractorfan who posted in this thread are also both on this list. They all were fairly active posters.
We feed hogs farrow to finish and steers and cow calf pairs we save around a buck a bushel between storage and drying and trucking maybe seen a 2 or 3 week longer to finish on the steers compared to shell corn diets

Here's a picture I took on a farm being transitioned to a county park in Dane County, WI today. There were 9 cribs, 10 foundations present. All appeared built to the same specs. I was asked as to age- I was thinking 1950's or 60's. Anyone else care to offer an opinion? All the cribs had full length tunnels for a dragline beneath.
cvphoto150710.jpg
My Dad built two Behlen cribs that look like this in 1954. Shortly after that Behlen made their cribs with steeper roofs so you could put more corn in.

Was wondering if anybody was going to mention Behlen, just drove by their operation yesterday. Remember Dad or his brother mentioning the roofs, only remember 4 cribs and I know they weren't the steep roofs you talk about. Uncle quit picking in the early 80's, but he worked at Behlen's while I grew up, in the building department, think he still worked there close to him being 70 and would outwork the younger guys. He wasn't famous, but well known, rough working farmer. RIP

Storing ear corn in cribs allows natural (unheated) air to circulate through the ears to finish drying the grain. Combining or field shelling corn only became practical after gas fired grain driers and grain drying bins became available in the late 1950s. Before that the only way to dry corn to a safe storage moisture level ( 15.5 percent or less? ) was to either let it dry in the field or pick as ear corn to store in cribs and shell it after the grain was dry. Rodents were a big problem around corn cribs as mice and rats could easily get into cribs.

Do seed corn companies still harvest as ear corn and dry in low temperature ear corn driers to reduce seed damage?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back