OT hybred seed corn ???

Anonymous-0

I know this isnt a tractor question and
i am not interseted in a answer regarding legal rules with
monsanto, but here it goes. When you buy a 300 dollar bag of seed corn you are buying a F1 seed that has been produced by crossing two pure inbred lines. If you try to replant the seed from this F1 plant it is a F2 and will not yeld well or have the performance of the bagged F1. Does any one know what would happen If you crossed the F1 With a open pollenated line? Use the F1 As a male, and the OP for the female. Would this make a Op that has triple stack? What Happens when you take two different F1 plants and cross them? Does this make a 4 way cross? I am not promoting anything illegal, just curious what the genetics do. This stuff is fasinating.

I studied this stuff in genetics in College. Fun time let me tell ya... Anyway when you cross your OP and F1 you'll have a few possible combos. Medel studied all of this and then they have the way to figure out all the offspring, Its called a Punetts Square(sp?). You would have to know the dominant and recessive qualities and then you would have to figure out which ones to pull out and which ones to cull. It would be a lot of work and probably take a lab to get there.

Each of the crosses you perpose will reproduce but none yield plants as productive as the F1 plants.
In addition to getting your hands on a bioligy 101 text book,mouse or rat breeding is interesting. The rodents reproduce rapidly and at a young age alowing observation of the offspring. You can sell them to someone for snake food.

Or you could just go and buy your corn down at the local feed mill. Tell them you want some inorganic. LOl

This isnt about buying corn. I own a tractor or two. Someone else invented and built it , I just use it. Does this mean I am a fool or am I trying to pull something over on someone if I choose to learn how it was built, and why a certain design was used over another? Some poeple dont care how things are made, or grown,just as long as they have them available. I think the mechanics of breeding corn is very interesting and would like to talk about this topic with other people who also find the new seed corn fascinating. Not all folks on this site are just "plows and sows" some come from very educated back grounds and love old tractors and farming life too. I through this question out there to see if someone maybe had any experiance, or common interests. It has nothing to do with buying, or trying not to buy. Its about learning and new ideas. Even if the idea never goes any farther than in your head. How many times on this site has someone talked about a super HTA Farmall or a 4320 powershift? These tractors were never built, yet fun to talk, or imagine about. Seed corn is no different.I cant be the only one who askes the question what if?

One of these days for fun I am going to cross Bloody Butcher OP with an OP white variety and then cross the result with blue corn and see what I get.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back