OT; JF in CT is no more. Now JF in MI

JF in MI

When I retired I was able to move out of that "anti-everything" state and now live in MI. The administrators were kind enough to let me change my handle to reflect my domicile. As most of you already know CT is the #1 worst state to attempt to retire in. Yes, it is just ahead of NJ. So how did I wind up in MI you say? When looking for a place to escape to I had a friend (in a general aviation club I belonged to) who also had a house in MI and he invited me out to look around. I would up just about dead smack in the center of the mitten, which is an odd story in itself. Back in about 2000 I flew with a bunch of friends out to the EAA convention at Oshkosh WI. We got stuck there due to weather and our only escape was to fly across Lake Michigan and pick our way between storms down to and through OH. Flying in loose formation, on one of the legs in lousy weather, while crossing the center of MI I remember looking down at the beautiful farm land and thinking to myself "boy, I sure wouldn't mind living here". Ironically I would up purchasing about 5 miles from that exact point 10 years later. I'm out in 'the sticks' and loving it.

You'll be easier to keep track of now with the name change. LOL.
Hope you'll join us at the show in Blanchard in August. You don't even have to bring your own pitch fork. RayP or Duane will have one that'll fit your hand.

Welcome to the neighborhood. Have you placed a pin on the member map? We must be close to each other. If you have questions about the area don't be afraid to ask. There are several helpful forum members in the area.

Congratulations. You don't have NY listed? We've got to be right up there(or more accurately down there) as far as being able to retire. I just did my income taxes. State is more complicated than federal. And if I quit farming, I won't be able to pay the property tax. If I do retire, I'll be headed more southerly. Our youngest, in NC, wants us to buy next to him!

You can't be far from Ray P, rrlund, Wondergem and others over thataway. Good show in Oakley in August too. They won't make you work if you go to that one. ;)

Like rrlund says, welcome to the neighborhood. Would like to know where exactly, but you welcome to remain hidden if you choose. Several airstrips in the area if you need to fly. Brother-in-law in Charlotte built his own KitFox, flies off his own back yard.

Every time, in the past, I've missed that show 'cause I was out of state at the time. Plan to be there next time.

Where abouts exactly are you? Great show in Oakley every year, Just a little ways from here so I don't make it up there often. If you're far enough up north you can hunt deer with rifles if you're into that. I can own rifles here just can't hunt with them

Hey WELCOME to Mi. I don't know exactly where you are. But the middle of the mitten is St Louis. Like the other said not to far from a bunch of us. Check out the MMOGTA tractor show at Oakley. I put it on the map. Just look for it in the list and click on it. While your there you can join us on the map if you like.
Map

I thought he had a pin on the map Jon. I thought I zoomed in on it. He's just north of RayP.

Glad to hear you finally got to retire and move.
Weren't you working on a hanger at your new place?
Did you get that all finished and ready to go?

I am far enough north for that but am not into deer (I wish more were however. They're like locust). I did bag about 40 pocket gophers last year though.

You have an excellent memory 'cause it did (mostly because of dealing with the manufacturer's engineering dept). I've been able to tone it down to "sipping" from "guzzling" since then.

Yup, good ole NY. the only good thing you can say about NY is that it isn't quite as bad as Conn. and NJ, but never fear, we're working on it!!

What type of plane do you have JF? I have a buddy that lives nearby that has a plane and flies. Another real old fellow I know has a 1919? Great Lakes biplane fuselage hanging from the rafters in the corner of his hanger, and the wings on the wall, a very neat plane!

Ross

awesome little area. Wish the lake was as it was 20yrs ago, but it is coming back. Got friends that live out there. Hugh (sam) and Joy Riley. Retired principal and teacher. Also at the south east end of the lake a relative has a house that was built by his step dad that has a walk out basement and has never been lived in upstairs. Basement had all the emenities so they just stayed down stairs. Richardson was their last name. You may want to be careful to not hit any road apples from the neighbors wondering work stock. If you haven't figured it out yet barn door has a great burger and Fates market in remus is a good place to get brats (store made). Careful of the locals as they are mostly allis chalmers folks. We hear there are shots to protect you from that infliction. Tilman Hardware in Beal City is a new Holland dealer but is an all around good supplier of ag supplies. Al at Remus Repair is ok but if he thinks you don't know anything he will stick it to you. Welcome to central MI. Hope your not getting blown away as I write this as the wind is strong here in Rosebush.

My puddle jumper is a Maule M6 Rocket on Edo floats. About 300 ft to get airborne with that LY 300

Have a friend who moved here from Connecticut looking for work a couple years ago. Between the umbilical being stretched pretty tight, and a medling neighbor, his wife moved back with the kids.

He hates it there and we are certain he will be back once the kids are grown.

Yupper, been to the Barn Door on occasion. The New Holland dealer in Beal is the "go to" parts store for my backhoe. Yes, I've been dodging the 'apples'. The private road I'm on has "its own" old AC road grader and I've already been recruited to help repair it a couple of times and our airport "roller tractor" is an old AC gasser.

Forgot to tell him about Ken Gross. He sells parts from his house.He lives on Lapearl Rd, 1/2 mile north of Weidman Rd. on east side. Phone # 9896443737. Honest and knowledgable. Born and raised farm boy. He is also the parts man at Capital Kubota in Clare.

(quoted from post at 14:59:12 02/19/16) When I retired I was able to move out of that "anti-everything" state and now live in MI. The administrators were kind enough to let me change my handle to reflect my domicile. As most of you already know CT is the #1 worst state to attempt to retire in. Yes, it is just ahead of NJ. So how did I wind up in MI you say? When looking for a place to escape to I had a friend (in a general aviation club I belonged to) who also had a house in MI and he invited me out to look around. I would up just about dead smack in the center of the mitten, which is an odd story in itself. Back in about 2000 I flew with a bunch of friends out to the EAA convention at Oshkosh WI. We got stuck there due to weather and our only escape was to fly across Lake Michigan and pick our way between storms down to and through OH. Flying in loose formation, on one of the legs in lousy weather, while crossing the center of MI I remember looking down at the beautiful farm land and thinking to myself "boy, I sure wouldn't mind living here". Ironically I would up purchasing about 5 miles from that exact point 10 years later. I'm out in 'the sticks' and loving it.

Much the same thing happened to my dad. He was getting close to 30 years active duty, US Army when he became the SMJ of the US Army meteorological command. That meant that he had to visit various stations in the continental US and AK. While on a US Army chopper catching a ride from the MN National Guard from Minneapolis to Fargo ND he flew at low level over the area where he bought our farm. He really liked the area so him and mom decided that's where they would retire too. After he retired we were living in Osakis MN at first while he and mom looked for a place to buy. I was a junior in HS and doing well. SO mom and dad would take off for a couple of days at a time to go farm hunting. They returned one Wens. and dad was all excited about an area they had driven through on the way home and told me about a place they had driven by, no for sale sign, that he said would be perfect. He had left a note in a relator's mail box. They were home about an hour when the guy called dad, talked to him for a few minutes and ask if dad wanted to look at a farm the next day. I ask if I could skip a day of school and go with. So the next morning we drove up met with the relator and he took us out to the very place dad had told me about! The guy had just listed it and hadn't put a sign up yet. The added bonus is the owner wanted to do a contract for deed and was selling cheap, about 1/4 market value because he had sold other land and was very close to capital gains. We moved in at the end of the school year in the spring of 72.

Rick

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back