OT Yukon XL noise

Ozlander

The GMC that I use to haul my tractor has a noise that I believe is up front. Kind of a humming noise that changes with speed. The noise goes away when making a left turn at speed 50 MPG.
My question is which side of the truck?

Humming or buzzing noises are usually a sign of a failing wheel bearing. I assume that is what you are asking about. Usually when in a turn the sound increases; the bearing that is failing is on the opposite side from the direction of the turn. You are making a left turn so the weight and momentum of the vehicle increases the pressure on the right wheel, this generally increases the noise the failing bearing is making. BTW, I would hang on to a 50 MPG Yukon XL, probably won’t find another one! :)

You don't say year or mileage. Agree with Used. If changing one bearing, just do both, fairly easy job.
Meant to say '16. 130K miles.
They use a hub. They ran from 70 bucks to 225 for a pair.
So, weight off the left in a left turn, so must be the left.
G and H are so close.

Jack one side up at a time and spin the wheel by hand with the other hand on the coil spring. A bad bearing will give you a vibration in the spring that can be easily felt.

Depending on which way you turn to identify a bad bearing is iffy at best, they have an inner and outer bearing in each hub and depending on which way the vehicle is turning the inner or outer bearing is loaded which can lead to confusion on which wheel bearing is actually to blame.

And yes, you could replace both at the same time, a lot of people do but I like to wear things out before I throw them away.

Depending on which way you turn to identify a bad bearing is iffy at best, they have an inner and outer bearing in each hub and depending on which way the vehicle is turning the inner or outer bearing is loaded which can lead to confusion on which wheel bearing is actually to blame.

But which bearing in the hub is bad is irrelevant when you can only buy the hub with the bearing in it.

Meant to say '16. 130K miles.
They use a hub. They ran from 70 bucks to 225 for a pair.
So, weight off the left in a left turn, so must be the left.
G and H are so close.
If they haven't been changed yet, my bet is on bearings. Twice when mine went bad, the ABS light stayed on. I've had good luck with price and parts from Detroit Axle. On the ones I worked on, The passenger side was always worn the most. In the last 12 years I've replaced front bearings on a Taurus, F 150, Altima, Malibu, Uplander, Ranger, Cobalt, and 2 Silverados. The only time I did one side was on the Taurus, and 3 months later was back doing the other side.

Last edited:
The GMC that I use to haul my tractor has a noise that I believe is up front. Kind of a humming noise that changes with speed. The noise goes away when making a left turn at speed 50 MPG.
When replacing a hub be SURE to torque it to 'spec with a hand torque wrench.

Rapping them "tight" with an impact wrench or reefing them down with a breaker bar and cheater pipe almost guarantees an early repeat failure.

But which bearing in the hub is bad is irrelevant when you can only buy the hub with the bearing in it.

Yes, that's true.

I only used that example to illustrate how it can be decieving.

EDIT: To expound upon that a bit. There is an inner and outer bearing in each hub as you know.

The inner or outer can be loaded during turns increasing the noise depending upon which way you turn.

One of those can be worn and dry/discoloured while the other can still look like new in the same hub, I've seen that many times.

I was fooled by that a few times until I learned about jacking up each wheel and feeling for vibration in the spring.

Last edited:
Or you drive it until there is no question which one it is like my neighbor’s 2004 Pontiac Gran Prix. She asked me to put a power steering pump on it and said somebody rode with her and told her to have her wheel bearings checked. I drove it down to the end of the block and I was concerned that the wheel would fall off before I got back. If a bear could hum you could maybe describe the noise it was making as humming! :oops: Thing is I know she had been on a 15-20 mile round trip the day before.

Or you drive it until there is no question which one it is like my neighbor’s 2004 Pontiac Gran Prix. She asked me to put a power steering pump on it and said somebody rode with her and told her to have her wheel bearings checked. I drove it down to the end of the block and I was concerned that the wheel would fall off before I got back. If a bear could hum you could maybe describe the noise it was making as humming! :oops: Thing is I know she had been on a 15-20 mile round trip the day before.
I'm going to drive it til next week because the parts won't be here til then, and maybe the week after that.
Be a good rainy day project.

that's how hummers got their name. ;)

Humming or buzzing noises are usually a sign of a failing wheel bearing. I assume that is what you are asking about. Usually when in a turn the sound increases; the bearing that is failing is on the opposite side from the direction of the turn. You are making a left turn so the weight and momentum of the vehicle increases the pressure on the right wheel, this generally increases the noise the failing bearing is making. BTW, I would hang on to a 50 MPG Yukon XL, probably won’t find another one! :)
Whenever unsure about which wheel bearing it is...i will jack up both tires (front) and have someone depress the gas pedal while applying force to one tire to make only one tire spin. Usually, you can tell which side is the bad bearing pretty easily by the sound.

I'm going to drive it til next week because the parts won't be here til then, and maybe the week after that.
Be a good rainy day project.
Be sure to push the axle back before loosening the three bolts. Sometimes the axle splines are rusted to the bearing and can be a bear to remove. Some guys use an air chisel and that usually will pop them off the splines easily as well. I always put never-sieze back on the splines before putting on new hub assembly.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back