Pics Story-One Owner 1964 806 Farmall Diesel

1206SWMO

cvphoto3824.jpg

Back in 2014 I wrote up a story for Red Power Magazine about a friends one owner 806 Farmall...For some reason it never got published so I will put some of it on here..About the time that Roy Gene Claypool was born in Sept 1940, his Dad bought a new H Farmall.....Some years later when it was time for Roy Gene to start farming on his own his Dad gave him the H Farmall...After awhile he traded it for a 400 Farmall gas...Roy Gene had a custom silage chopping business using a 2 row #50 IH which the 400 had trouble pulling in tough conditions...He said that one year he chopped silage for 30 days straight..

In early 1964 at the age of 23 Roy Gene needed more power for his growing farming and silage chopping operation....He went to Schell City Truck and Tractor at Schell City,MO...He traded his 400 gas for a brand new 1964 model 806 IH Diesel serial # 8880 and a new IHC #560 6x16 plow..This was the first new 806 ever sold at Schell City..It had no fenders and 7.50 x 20 front tires..At that time the new 806 listed in the $6,000 price range..The above picture was taken in 1966 and is the only picture he has of it..Notice that it has white 1206 rear wheels with 18.4x38's...A man that bought a new 1206 wanted 34's so Roy Gene traded with him..At the same time that Roy Gene bought the new 806 he also bought a new 303 IH combine with 13 ft head and a 2 row corn head..He said that he wondered if he would ever get them paid for..
cvphoto3825.jpg

Heres a picture I took on a Sunday afternoon in August 1969...Roy Gene is pulling his 806 IH in the 15,000 lb class at Rich Hill,MO..This is in the days of the old people ridden sleds..Back in 1967 I was chairman of the first ever FFA tractor pull held during our youth fair in Nevada,MO...Roy Gene brought his 806 in and won the 15,000 class..This is when I first met him..In 1968 he brought the 806 back and won the 15,000 lb class again..He pulled it until 1970 and switched to a 560 diesel..
cvphoto3826.jpg

In August 2014 the 806 still had the original RD injection pump (worked on once) and the original generator..In 1970 the rear half of a 1256 IH burnt in a barn fire and Roy Gene then bought the hood, fan and shroud,dual stage air cleaner, and the turbo and manifold set up..Later on it got a 1256 flywheel, clutch,and pressure plate..The 806 had Fast Hitch when it was new..The tractor has only had one new TA installed in it..The 806 is on its 3rd tach and has well over 10,000 hours on it..When it had lots of hours on it the 806 broke the end of the camshaft off..At that time the D361 engine was majored..The tractor has had no transmission or rear end work..It has the 56 series shifting on it..It has the 540-1000 PTO and has two sets of hydraulics..When the 2 Plus 2 IH's came out Roy Gene bought the first new one sold at Schell City Truck And Tractor..

cvphoto3827.jpg

cvphoto3828.jpg

cvphoto3829.jpg

The above 3 pictures were all taken on a nice Sunday afternoon in August 2014..Roy Gene has rented out his farm ground but still has some cattle....These days the 806 still earns its keep and stays on the Kuhn disc mower..I just saw Roy Gene 4 months ago at a tractor pull and he's still going strong..In April 2020 he will have owned this 806 for 56 years..Is there another person out there that has owned an 806 IH this long?

Roy Gene told me that his families first tractor was a Samson M..Then they had a Fordson,a 10-20 McCormick,F-20 Farmall,a new 1940 H,a new C Farmall,a used M,a used 400 diesel, and Roy Genes 400 gas...I was at the farm sale in 1963 when Roy Genes' Dad bought the 400 diesel..The former owner had been struck and killed by lightning while using the 400.....A neighbor of ours bought a one year old Massey model 82 SP combine on that sale..

Also until recently there were two different 1960 model 1800 Oliver gas tractors in my area that had been in the same family since new...I also have a friend that bought a brand new 1969 MM G-900 diesel and he still owns it today..

cvphoto3831.jpg

Heres Roy Gene pulling his 560 at Rockville,MO in 1970..

Can't beat that for a tractor story ! Surprised it did not get published, that is a long span of time and history.

Why don't you reenter the story? They might publish this time. Also tighten up your writing a tiny bit to shorten it a tad. Too long stories can get kicked out. Give it a try.
cvphoto3843.jpg

I told them to edit it, shorten it, just post one picture,etc but got no response...I guess its not what they are looking for....When I renewed my subscription this past Christmas I put a note about it in the envelope..

Very good story. It's nice to put pictures with it. Really makes it hit home. With the progression of the tractors they had, you can just picture the farm as it grew. The 806 was a real game changer when it came out. Still a very good tractor after all these years.

Used to publish a small club magazine years ago. You told them to edit....they don't want to be bothered most of the time. That is why I hinted to you to rewrite it a bit. Also do a cut and paste. Lay your story out on some 8X10 sheets of paper printed word and pictures till you get an eye appealing look. Easy to read, concise story, and nice photos. I ran one of yours through my simple photo program and just hit "Auto Fix". Noyhing super duper That getting sent to them could make a HUGE difference. Give it a try. I keep telling on here about the Pixlr app. It works really nicely.

Good story. I have owned my 806 since 1978. I bought it used with we figure was about 4,000 hours on it. Not sure what it has now. Meter has not worked in 20 years. It is not going anyplace anytime soon. Still work it . Mostly doing hay. It gets baler duty mostly.
Dad is the second owner of the H and D-4 cat that were bought new by his dad. The H still is on putter duty since all the equipment it to big for it except fall auger work. Which it gets each fall.

Great story, I have the 806 that my dad was the second owner of, he bought it around 1973 0r 1974, good old tractor, not going anywhere soon.
Mike
cvphoto3949.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back