power loss popping thru the muffler

tomturkey

I mowed to close to some landscape fabric and my Husqvarna 22-46 sucked some in and killed the engine. I cut the fabric had the blade disengaged and headed for the shop to unwind the mess. Engine restarted just fine got the mess cleaned out, but, now occasionally the mower loses some power and starts backfiring thru the muffler, a pop pop pop sound. Its a Briggs 22hp twin cylinder endurance engine. I suspect I have bumped into the shear key on the flywheel, not enough to stop it from running but occasionally slipping time a very little bit and then doing as I have described. It only last a minute or so then it regains its rpm and runs as usual. I suppose I could have some kind of intermittent fuel blockage? Could one of the plugs be fouled and acting that way? Just wanted some more experienced heads to bounce my problem off of before I start tearing thing apart. gobble

I agree with the possibilities you mention. Yes, there could be a fuel blockage. Yes, a fouled plug could be causing it to run erratically, and yes, you could have nudged the flywheel key a little and it's out of time. Might as well start with the easiest first.

Well folks, I took out one spark plug out, looked very good burning very clean. Took out the other one and it definitely had been carboning up. so swapped it with a used plug I had in the drawer, aha, a test drive thru some harsh conditions did not bring on the loss of power and pop pop pop. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. lol gobble

I agree with the possibilities you mention. Yes, there could be a fuel blockage. Yes, a fouled plug could be causing it to run erratically, and yes, you could have nudged the flywheel key a little and it's out of time. Might as well start with the easiest first.
thank you for your reply, easiest first fixed it I believe. gobble

I bought one of those harbor freight spark plug sandblasters a few years ago and get a lot of use out of it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back