Preserving hydraulic hoses, floating an idea

Tgrasher

I was sitting on my golf/tool cart looking at a 5 bottom semi-mount plow and thought what a waste of hydraulic hose sitting out in the sun. Then I thought about the field cultivator, the disc, and other implements using long hoses. What if each implement had couplers so one could interchange hoses. Hoses would be the length of the longest needed. So when you unhook from the disc, you take the hoses with you and use them on the field cultivator. With the cost of hydraulic hose there's got to be a better way. Yes, buildings would help, but you don't live in this county in Illinois, taxes are nuts.

I was sitting on my golf/tool cart looking at a 5 bottom semi-mount plow and thought what a waste of hydraulic hose sitting out in the sun. Then I thought about the field cultivator, the disc, and other implements using long hoses. What if each implement had couplers so one could interchange hoses. Hoses would be the length of the longest needed. So when you unhook from the disc, you take the hoses with you and use them on the field cultivator. With the cost of hydraulic hose there's got to be a better way. Yes, buildings would help, but you don't live in this county in Illinois, taxes are nuts.
Yesteryear the hydraulic cylinders were moved from one implement to the other. There were hooks on the back of the tractor to hang them on when not being used. Having a cylinder on each implement came about with hydraulic fold wings and larger equipment that required cylinders designed for specific applications.

Yesteryear the hydraulic cylinders were moved from one implement to the other. There were hooks on the back of the tractor to hang them on when not being used. Having a cylinder on each implement came about with hydraulic fold wings and larger equipment that required cylinders designed for specific applications.
This is how my Dad did things. Cylinder got moved from field cultivator to disc, to plow. In the later years he did have more than 1 cylinder but usually one was not left on stuff that was parked until the next season. Got removed and put in the shed. One cylinder had different hose tips on it from the others too. One of the tractors was different for some reason.

I understand where you are coming from but couplers are not cheap either. Assuming that each implement you have will have quick couplers for each hose so that needs to be factored in versus the cost of hose.

Probably a very economical use of the hoses. I remember Dad only having 1 cylinder we moved between implements. But do hoses really fail because the sun weakened them that much. I have seen terrible looking hoses on equipment that still seem to be working.

Why not just replace them with steel lines that eliminates the hoses except for a short piece for the tractor connection. I run ours through PVC pipe so they don't drag on the ground and protects them from things like being pinched and such. It does not keep the sun off from much of them. On CL or Marketplace I found old fire hose that will fit over 2 hydraulic hoes so each circuit can be kept separate and covers all but the ends of the hoses. The hose was pretty cheap compared to hydraulic hose and flexes with the hose easily. I covered the ones on one disc and will be using it on the chisel plow when I have to make that change also on my rake which will be pretty soon. Dad used to wrap them in old Bag plastic from the silage bags .He was always fussing with them too.

An easy way to protect hydraulic hoses is to cover them with that plastic ribbed cable cover that is slit down the middle. Make sure you order the "slit" stuff since they also sell it non slit. I use the one inch size.

KcccEba.jpg

Just keep one set of hoses with the tractor, with couplers on both ends. That's how I do my hitch pin-just stays with the tractor. Mark.

Newer tractors have higher pressure now and more remotes. Most of my equipment was 12' so no wings but I used 2 pieces in tandem or even 3, Cultipacker, drill and sprocket roller with hyd. lift wheels when seeding wheat, it took some long hoses sometimes. Lucky for me, I had enough older smaller sheds around for the smaller equipment. I moved cylinders all the time because I had many different brands of tractors so I had different cylinders that moved with that tractor, keeping oil from being mixed between tractor brands. After I went to all 4240 JD's after I downsized from small grains to grass, clover, oil seeds and covercrops for forage, I had enough JD cylinders with hyd. stops. I did the same with trucks, same parts, filters, oils, tires. Less inventory, less to keep up, life got easier....James

In some cases you’re not going to want to be repeatedly removing a cylinder due to its location, where you have to crawl under/ over things to get to it ( center of a chisel plow) , then have 30 ft of hose to deal with hanging on the back of the tractor, or in the garage. Best to find a dedicated cylinder and leave it on permanently, and protect the hoses in place.
IMG_0637.png

If I'm replacing them and they are out in the sun I put that fabric sleeve on it. I didn't know it existed till working at CAT. I've also seen a large velcro one that's split and you can wrap around 4 or 5 hoses at once.

how about having all cylinders have the same JIC flares and just unthread the hose and cap the ends. Be alot cheaper then buying couplers.

I've done this with my long hoses. Sometimes you end up with a plumbing nightmare, older equipment and cylinders use different connectors and sizes. I watch for sales on fittings and once I've got everything customized it works fine.

Replacing hoses every X years vs. the cost of couplers probably pencils out, but there is the convenience factor. The way I operate I'd always forget to bring the hoses along. Then you have to route and secure the hoses each time you hook up, and reverse the process when you're done.

Replacing hoses every X years vs. the cost of couplers probably pencils out, but there is the convenience factor. The way I operate I'd always forget to bring the hoses along. Then you have to route and secure the hoses each time you hook up, and reverse the process when you're done.
Agreed, convenience and time factors every time you want to use a implement. Then there is also the factor of every time the fittings are opened to install or remove a hose, the chance for contamination is increased and hoses that are way too long getting damaged if not secured just right. Put a fabric "rash" guard, like the type suggested by Fritz Maurer (or run them through old fire hose if you can get some), on them and leave them in place if the sun is that much concern. Moving one set of hoses around is false economy to me. JMHO

HHMMMMmmm...No one seems to like my idea of using the split plastic ribbed cable cover. It's been working for me for many many years. I'm just curious that no one has mentioned them or why it is a bad idea. They are really convenient so, what's the problem? I'm all ears.

HHMMMMmmm...No one seems to like my idea of using the split plastic ribbed cable cover. It's been working for me for many many years. I'm just curious that no one has mentioned them or why it is a bad idea. They are really convenient so, what's the problem? I'm all ears.
I use it on wiring where it is secured to something regularly along the length, never had great luck with it on free swinging hoses between tractor remotes and implement as it opens up between places it is secured closed (cable ties to hold it closed). The spiral wrap plastic stays better to me.

Caryc, your suggestion was less controversial and did not raise as many “strong” opinions as the moving hoses between equipment did. So that subject got more “air play”! Nothing wrong with your suggestion. Jim, is right though, it has fairly poor anti-abrasion qualities.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back