Problem with Predator 3500 generator

Fuel shutoffs aren't usually hidden. They are usually right where one can see them.

It's not hidden. It's right their in plain site.

Dail. - Start . Fuel shutoff ...

With the engine off.
Open the drain screw on the carb. Turn the dial to Start. Fuel should start flowing out of the drain. Turn the dial to Run and fuel should stop flowing. Turn the dial to Off when storing the generator.

Make sure the gas cap is vented, if I remember correctly, the vent either gets clogged or fail and it won't pull gas into the carb. See if it will run with the gas cap off.

Dang and people say Harbor Freight sells cheap junk..

That has to be the worlds most sophisticated small engine if it can detect ethanol in gas and refuse to start.
The manual says there are parts in the carb that are damaged by the ethanol, not sure I believe the manual either.

You are correct, no fuel shut off. The manual is online. Apparently, from the starting instruction there is some kind of internal fuel shut off/maybe a pump. The instructions say it will not run if there is any ethanol in the gas.
I see a lot of Predator generators being used in Arizona, and it's hard to find gas without ethanol there!

You are correct, no fuel shut off. The manual is online. Apparently, from the starting instruction there is some kind of internal fuel shut off/maybe a pump. The instructions say it will not run if there is any ethanol in the gas.
I've also viewed that manual on line. We dumped out the gas that was in it and replaced it with the Quart cans of gas you can buy at Home Depot. It is a higher octane and contains no ethanol. Still doesn't want to stay running.

I've also viewed that manual on line. We dumped out the gas that was in it and replaced it with the Quart cans of gas you can buy at Home Depot. It is a higher octane and contains no ethanol. Still doesn't want to stay running.
Changing the fuel isn't going to magically make it run. It's not so sophisticated that it does a chemical analysis on the fuel, and if it doesn't like what it finds, it shuts down.

If ethanol did damage (doubtful), then the damage is done and it needs to be physically fixed.

Plain and simple the generator is not getting fuel. Fix the fuel supply problem and it will run.

Many times, ethanol will corrode components in the carb. In addition it can make the inside of fuel lines flake off. Th particles of corrosion can plug small fuel passes in the carb. I would remove the carb, Carefully dissassemble and examine the internal parts. Pay close attention to tiny parts. Blow out all of the passages in the carb.

Given that it runs a few seconds with a squirt in the carb, this would be my second step AFTER verifying fuel is getting TO the carb as mention in a few previous posts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back