Problems with auto parts stores

JOCCO

Yes I have had several bad experiences as of late. Some of us were discussing in our area the
quality of the help, product and service has gone downhill. You have to look the part up online and
give them a number before they can help you. No knowledge of product or service. You need a 1/4
bolt they give you a 3/4 one. Get this, fellow was helping me then walked out went to lunch, me
standing there with stuff on the counter. Another employee had to finish it after we figured out
what was going on. Is this isolated or similar where you live? Yes buying a lot more online every
year, not saying there is not problems there.

When I was just getting into auto repairs, teenager, probably 50% of the time the clerk would give you the wrong part. Really chapped you after getting home and getting ready to install the part and it doesn't fit. Haven't had problems recently as I do most of my shopping online and they get it right.

I buy most of my parts from the NAPA dealer. All of the guys in there are very competent and helpful. What I don't get at NAPA, I generally get at O'Reilly's. Some of the guys are outstanding and some of them are just okay. Fortunately, I have a pretty good idea of which are which so if the good guy(s) are working, I go directly to them.

Tom in TN

I've found most of the folks at O'Reilly's and Autozone in my area are pretty good. Lately I particularly like ABC Auto since the stock most Motorcraft parts. Tina at ABC really knows everything and can find parts the other folks there can't find.

I'm sure it varies a lot by region and management whether there are people available to hire with knowledge and whether management understands their value.

Yes rock auto IF YOU can get through the search feature of their website. I got a 25 dollar gift card as a door prize. I noticed it expired soon and didn't realy need anything, decided to buy 4 spark plugs for my Fords. After several rounds of typing I still could not just buy 4 plugs. $25.00 for them. joe

Fortunately; we still have a locally owned, independent parts store about 12 miles away. Family owned and operated since the 1940s, and everyone there knows how to use a parts catalog, and how to listen. Simple stuff, I will go to NAPA or O Reillys, because they are about two miles away.

Your average counter help is someone with little experience. Even if they do care they are too young to know about automotive and farm equipment from 50 years ago. The guys who grew up with such stuff are retired or dead. A parts book for each tractor you own is not a bad idea. Being mad is not going to do any good.

It is not just auto parts. It happens in all areas of all industries where people are involved. It has been going on for years. I do admit it is getting lots worse.

I live in a small town. Have lived here just over 16 years now. There is Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, and NAPA all withing a mile of each other. Over that time I've done business at all of them. Mostly NAPA. The guys working the counter were there the first time I walked through the door. They know their stuff, and whatever I need they go the extra mile to find it for me. When I go looking for parts I try to have make, model, and serial number, but we all know it's not always possible. Even without that, whatever I put on the counter, at least one of them knows what it is and where to find one. Not the cheapest place in town by any means, but still my go to place for local parts.

I go to the other guys only weekends or when NAPA is closed and I need it bad. I never see the same person behind the counter twice. Hired help there is in a revolving door. They can't identify ANYTHING. Without a make and model to look up they're helpless. That's just the world we live in now.

The days of the old counter man with the shop towel in his back pocket and pipe smoke rollin around his head a gone.
I needed a spark plug for a Honda engine on a Sunday. Walked into O Rieley's and told the counter idiot what I needed. He says you got the old one. I says no. He say's how can I help you without seeing what it looks like. I walked out and went across the street to Carquest. He says the same thing about needing to see it. I asked if he had a book. Pulls out a Champion book and starts lookin. After 5 minutes of not havin the I asked to look. He's in the mower section. 5 seconds later I gave him the number I needed. He says I got 3 ,how many you want. Bought all 3.

Sounds like an opportunity to make a career change, do you want to work behind a parts counter?

I am lucky to have an old type NAPA 8 miles away probably one of the better ones anywhere. I drive right by another not so good NAPA 2 miles from the house to get there. I hardly ever go to those other parts stores. If I need something they sell and can wait 2 days I get it from Rock Auto for less

Up here Lordco parts are one of the better suppliers and i find the female staff are better at finding stuff than there male counterparts

I too have had many bad experiences with auto supplies. I can pretty much eliminate the lack of competence by going in with the part numbers, or better yet a screen shot of their website with the part and price and availability shown. All they have to do is go get the part.

What I do have a problem with is rudeness, being ignored, walked away from to go answer the phone or gab with fellow employees. Then there are the stores that have loud (usually rap, Tejano, acid rock) ripping so loud communication is near impossible!

It doesn't seem to follow brands, but OReillys in this area is definitely the worst. It may be different in your area. There are a few NAPA stores, and they are nothing special, depends on who waits on me. I tend to seek out Autozone, the one near me does seem to have some employee stability and maturity.

I shop auto supplies only in an emergency. They are way over priced, especially on things like starters, alternators, electronic components, just about anything that breaks without warning and you need it now and want it bad. They have figured this out and go into price gouging mode! Anything I can plan ahead on gets ordered online.

I shop our local NAPA. A family operated store for years and years. They still have a parts books and know how to use them if they can't get the computer to generate the part needed. If they dont have it in stock, usually by tomorrow afternoon it will be in the store for pick-up. There is a carquest and o'reily's in town also. I've went to both in the past, but mostly NAPA now days. I appreciate their knowledge and service. Their prices are I think a bit higher but I get the right part the first time. gobble

A good parts person is worth their weight in gold and a poor one is not worth the time of day. We have both here in some places. There is a local guy here that has his own parts place and if they don't have it or can't get it you probably don't need it. They know most parts and even can just walk back and get some things by the description of it. He stocks a lot of common parts and filters if he can get them. As for the Napa's and all the others most of them can't find a car if it drove over their foot. The Auto Value has good parts folks in there and he runs and owns it. He must have a very large parts following as he has several delivery vehicles.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back