pto extender how to keep on

greg5555

New User
Needed a pto extender, got one from tsc. no push pin just a couple of holes. the pto shaft on the tractor has no holes. Looking for ideas on how to keep it on.

1715178798755.png
1715178798755.png
Find one like this. Google is your friend.

Needed a pto extender, got one from tsc. no push pin just a couple of holes. the pto shaft on the tractor has no holes. Looking for ideas on how to keep it on.
You need a different extender unfortunately. The one you bought is meant to be held on with a pin through the holes, which would mean your tractor's PTO shaft would need a hole in it as well.

I guess you could try to drill the tractor's PTO shaft but I have no idea what material it's made from.

this is what I did seems to work fine. easy to take off and no cost. the push pin type was not available in the time frame i needed.

Attachments

• pto.jpeg
    pto.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 126
this is what I did seems to work fine. easy to take off and no cost. the push pin type was not available in the time frame i needed.
Man, not to be a safety nut but that looks like a pants grabber. Make sure you have the shield on and be careful.

way stronger the the lateral pull of the pto shaft, just used it for 4 hours did move a millimeter great fix, and cheap. Will keep it this way. really don't understand the comments or criticism, it works great,

way stronger the the lateral pull of the pto shaft, just used it for 4 hours did move a millimeter great fix, and cheap. Will keep it this way. really don't understand the comments or criticism, it works great,
I don't see a problem either. Most posters here have PTO equipment with worse potential "pants grabbers" and missing shields, and most of us pull with the drawbar rather than the PTO shaft so a very low "strength rating" is needed.

Will you at least do this for me. Wrap the whole connection with duct tape to do away with any "pants grabbers"
The nay sayers have never seen anyone wrapped in a pto, I have.
None of those victims thought it would happen to them. They were always careful. Whats it hurt to use some caution? We will never know if it saved you but duct tape is cheap. Leave the ends of the tape long so it flops around. That makes a good visual and also you can hear and feel if it starts ticking on your pantleg.
Be safe and good luck. It is a good solution you came up with.

To me, the BIG safety concern is NOT IF but WHEN that slides back and the shaft flys off and swings around - with no mercy. Over time IT WILL loosen up and move. The telescoping PTO shaft will eventually not slide so easy, and that is what will first pull it backward. Mark.

I have had a PTO shaft slide off a time or two. While the shaft on the tractor continued to turn until I shut it off, the shaft to the implement didn't swing around, it was stopped instantly by the drag of the implement. While it is certainly not something you want happening, it would be extremely rare for it to have any consequences. There are many more situations around us with a potential for causing harm.

I had a PTO shaft come off while rolling hay a couple of years ago- the retainer broke/failed after making a turn. While the load from the baler did stop it pretty quickly, the shaft slung around and took out the hydraulic lines and the electric line. My baler now has new PTO shafts, front yoke, and hydraulic lines. Mark.

Will you at least do this for me. Wrap the whole connection with duct tape to do away with any "pants grabbers"
The nay sayers have never seen anyone wrapped in a pto, I have.
None of those victims thought it would happen to them. They were always careful. Whats it hurt to use some caution? We will never know if it saved you but duct tape is cheap. Leave the ends of the tape long so it flops around. That makes a good visual and also you can hear and feel if it starts ticking on your pantleg.
Be safe and good luck. It is a good solution you came up with.
If this is a 3pt mounted rotary mower, as I expect it is, you're not going to be getting anywhere near it with your pants unless you're a contortionist with a death wish. Even if it comes off it's caged in by the 3pt arms and framework on the mower.

Not a great solution, and not one that I'd personally brag about online, but it's probably best case scenario for this particular solution.

On a drawbar-pulled implement, the forces from turning would cause the adapter to walk on the tractor's PTO shaft. That's why PTO connections are pinned in place. With a 3pt implement everything stays parallel so there are no in-and-out forces on the shaft.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back